Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 2006 15:44:25 -0700
From:         Richard Koerner <RKoerner@AVANTMEDICAL.COM>
Subject:      Re: dashboard clock
Comments: To: Raymond Paquette <raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM>

Raymond,

Recently my LCD dash clock "stopped working". In my case, the display wasn't "dark"; rather, the numerals disappeared, just showing the light silvery-green background.

Now, I've worked a lot with LCD's and there is very little to go wrong with them; it's the connections to them that cause problems. Most typically, the connection is made with what's called a "zebra strip", which is a rubber strip made of ever-so-thin alternating strips of conductive and non-conductive rubber (under a 5X jeweler's loupe you can easily see the gray and black layers, hence the "zebra" name). This zebra strip gets compressed between the LCD glass and the PCB; the traces on the LCD (which are almost invisible; they are conductive vapor-deposited metals on the glass which actually conduct very low current electricity) and the traces on the PCB are aligned with each other via a plastic frame. The zebra strip conducts signals between the LCD and the PCB: this is Connection "A". Remember, this is a WHOLE STRIP of connections, not just 1 wire, but only 1 bad connection is enough to make your clock not function.

Also, as I recall, there is Connection "B": this is between the blue flex-circuit on back of instrument cluster and the clock PCB. This provides electrical power to the PCB, the "brains" of the clock.

What I did to fix my clock was remove the instrument cluster, and work my way on the back to the clock. Going from memory, I recall removing a couple screws holding the plastic clock housing. Sure enough, there was a zebra strip and LCD glass inside. Using reasonable care, I removed LCD and zebra. I gently cleaned the contacts on the LCD with rubbing alcohol and a Q-tip; I used a little more aggressive cleaning again with alcohol and Q-tip on the zebra strip (it's pretty bulletproof), being very careful to leave no debris behind (here's where that 5X jeweler's loupe really comes in handy--see McMaster Carr). And, I used alcohol and Q-tip on the PCB followed by a light rubbing with a pencil eraser to brighten the contacts. Did a similar cleaning between the flexcircuit and the PCB; I think somebody in the archives suggested adding a shim to increase the contact pressure between the PCB and the flexcircuit; I think I used a strip off a paper business-card for my shim. Or maybe it was a strip from a plastic, TV dinner tray (emergency rations!), I don't remember exactly.

Anyway, instant-presto, once back together, it worked, and has been working faithfully over the past 10 months. So, it was either corrosion or some foreign object somewhere in the LCD/zebra/pcb/flexcircuit "sandwich" that was my problem, and may be yours, too. By the way, I did all the repair sitting in the driver's seat, with things on my lap. Have all tools and cleaning materials nearby in the passenger's seat.

At the website vanagon.com, under the "problems" section, there's a very good write-up on how to fix the clock. But our Vanagon "clocks" are composed of a "brains section" (the electronics on the PCB) and a "display section" (the LCD) and a "power section" (the flexcircuit), and I think a lot of the time there's no communication because of a crummy connection between the 3 of them, and that's probably the source of most clock problems.

Hope I don't "have my wires crossed" on this explanation, because like I said I'm only going from memory; but the whole episode was easy and uneventful, and it's sure convenient to have a clock that works.

Rich '85 GL San Diego

-----Original Message----- From: Raymond Paquette [mailto:raymondpaquette@GMAIL.COM] Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 12:18 PM To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Subject: dashboard clock

Anyone have suggestions for fixing the digital clock on my dash cluster? It's just gone dark.

Raymond