Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jun 2006 18:19:00 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Haynes Manual for Vanagon available from UK for water cooled
              to '91

I believe the Bentley was intended to be a mechanic's shop manual. In that case knowledge of most basic things would be assumed. Replacing a water pump on most vehicles involves moving/removing the things that are in the way, pulling the pump, doing basic things like cleaning gasket surfaces, etc. and installing in reverse order using the torque figures in the diagram (in the case of the Bentley), all of which you apparently worked out on your own.

Out of curiosity, I looked at a the water pump procedure in a Haynes I have for another vehicle, and there were 7 steps for removal, which in short amounted to moving/removing the stuff in the way. It does name the stuff, but anyone that could point to a water pump could figure that out. Installation was 11 steps, the reverse of removal, with a couple of lines about cleaning gasket surfaces and sealant, and at the end reconnecting the neg. battery cable and running the engine to look for leaks. I really don't see that you were missing much, unless having the blow-by-blow helps your sense of security, which is understandable.

I personally like the Bentley much more than any Haynes or Chilton I have owned, despite its faults, which seem to be mostly typos with the occasional outright technical error. I've found that if I have the Haynes and the Chilton for the same vehicle I almost have a complete manual for only twice the price (or a little bit less than a Bentley). It's interesting how they complement each other in some ways, each getting into detail on things the other leaves out.

If you have specific questions regarding the Bentley or you can go to this bulletin board:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/forum.jspa?forumID=49&start=0

and ask them. Last I was aware the moderator of that forum was also a list member here.

Otherwise, you still have the most comprehensive and invaluable Vanagon resource of all- the list members themselves. Ask specific, detailed questions prior to and during your job and you'll probably get more information than you really needed- and most of it will be about Vanagons. : )

Perhaps when you get that Haynes you could give us your impressions or a 'review' of it, so to speak.

Good luck, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Howard Allen" <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, June 02, 2006 8:18 AM Subject: Haynes Manual for Vanagon available from UK for water cooled to '91

Hi Dave; Thanks for the in-depth index! But it does not appear to list a water pump under "engine", "cooling", "pump", or "water pump". Fortunately I was able to confirm the existence of a Haynes manual for the Transporter to 1991 (does not cover the diesel) covering our '84 1.9L water cooled version. I have ordered it and details below. It appears not to be available in the States, so I ordered it from the UK. Obviously this will have the right hand drive, but the essentials should be the same.

Thank you for your recent order from the HaynesOnline website. Please print this Confirmation of Order and keep safe for future reference. --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Order No. Date 02/06/2006 --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Items --------------------------------------------------------------------------- ISBN 1 85960 452 8 Book No 3452 Title <b>Volkswagen Transporter (water-cooled) Petrol (82 - 90) up to H Qty 1 Price £18.99

Best Regards Howard Allen S. Portland, Maine

"Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves." - Larry McMurtry

"Dave Vickery" <davevickery@hotmail.com> 06/02/2006 10:34 AM

To Howard Allen/Corporate/FSC@Fairchild cc

Subject RE: Bentley Manual for Vanagon USELESS?

That doesn' t sound right. The Bentley is the only vanagon manual and is pretty good, if a little sparce in places. There is no Hayes ones or anything for the vanagon. I recently found an index to the Bentley that helps you locate the pages you need. It is attached.

[attachment "Bentley Indeex.doc" deleted by Howard Allen/Corporate/FSC]