Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Jun 2006 09:39:17 -0700
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Roof A/C - Swamp Cooler
Comments: To: David Milo <dellaone@gmail.com>

Sorry, nothing magical. Just a couple strong fans that blow a lot of air on us. The 2 fans only pull 0.5 amp each so that is what we use most. We mount them with elastic cord to the back of the front seat head rests so they pull cool air through the headrest hole from our front window areas, which have screens. The envelope type front door screens are worth their weight in gold. Buy some or make some. Much better air flow than the tiny Westy side windows.

The swamp cooler needs a big hole in the roof. Can't mount it on the Westy poptop section since the cooler needs to be level if you are going to have water in it. The water is just sitting in an open pan inside the unit. A clever "pump" draws water up into the fan and mists it out onto the foam pad. Air is drawn through the pad where the evaporating water cools it. We mounted ours in the front rack with a large hole cut down through it and the sheet metal. Too much invasive work for something that uses quite a bit of battery and doesn't cool in high humidity when you need it most. We also mostly camp in Baja where water is precious and the unit can be thirsty. We tend to say put for a week at a time so the battery draw is the largest downside for us. We still use it since it moves a massive amount of air through the Camper on smoking hot afternoons. On hot nights we use the small fans to save battery.

Mark