Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 2006 09:25:18 -0400
From:         Benny boy <huotb@VIDEOTRON.CA>
Subject:      Re: Reliability?
Comments: To: Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM>

Howard.... THE QUESTION! this as been ask many time over the years... And there is no real answer. It's NOT an Honda engine that will never break, VW as an history of electrical-FI-mechanical problems.

Here in Quebec, we drive small cars, European and Japs mostly, i have travel enough in North America to tell you that there is more VW cars here then elswhere in NA... so that said, beside my shop there is other shop, and the one beside me is a VW (Car) and Honda shop (modification and tunning), the Honda cars that come in this shop are mostly for engine swap or modification (no real problem), the VW cars that come in are for.... all kind of crasy problems...

VW made one good car, the TD or TDI, period... so, to answer your question, VW is not one of the most reliable car-van in the world. I use to dislike American cars because i tought they were... old style thec. but lately, i change my mind, my girlfriend is driving a Sunfire from pontiac, this thing as 100k miles and drive like a charme, she never had any problem at all, i'm not saying it's the most fun to drive or most modern tec. but for 15k, it's a very good car... anyway, the point is VW is known for theirs electrical problems, including FI... so the Vanagon is not excluded! of course i have a Vanagon shop and all i see is problems! but i am perfectly aware that a lot of people DON'T have much problems! BUT, those one we don't hear a lot and they don't post a lot.

So, to my point now... have a GOOD VW VANAGON mechanic take a carefull look at your van, and change what ever need to be change or replace, do some maintenance, keep some spare FI parts with you (even if you don't know what they are, a mechanic will and he won't have to search for them).... and you should be ok! the head gasket problem won't happen that suddenly, you should see sign way before. Trany also do give sign most of the time... now, let's talk about stuff that don't give sign: -Coolant line, tube, hoses... especially those that attach to the engine (front of right head in your case) Expension tank, they do crack and always in the same spot, front heater valve, a classic. Some northern van have a metal coolant line rust problem... so those should also be checked.

Fuel injection, yeap, like you said in your post, Digijet and Dijifan system are an old and of a very stupid design, complex for nothing and they are getting old... again, have a mechanic check all wires, plugs and ground verified, CHANGE all fuel line in the engine compartment. the classic problems are: Fuel pump, AFM, fuel pressure regulator, some distributor are getting old and are giving me trouble....

That said, they can be pretty reliable if well maintain! but that is THE problem, people don't maintain them properly, they think of the old VW Bug that would run for ever... but that is not the case with a somewhat complex 20 years old Vanagon.

Anyway, i feel that all that as been said over and over. Vanagon have still a long way to go.. we now have to preserve them a bit more. The Westfalia side of the van is unbelievably solid and most of the time, dosn't show it's age... the body and general mechanic (suspension, brake, steering) side of the van is very solid and reliable also.

Nothing compare to a Vanagon or Bus's, it's a unique vehicle and it will always be... like i always said, it's a love & hate relation.

Regards, Ben http://www.benplace.com/