Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 6 Jun 2006 18:47:26 -0400
From:         Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: lots of a/c trouble shotting questions...
Comments: To: shawn feller <feller@CARBONCOW.COM>

I have. I had the evaporator on the GoldBrick get clogged with some gunk. It wasn't the gunk you'd get from mixing oils though. But did end up getting replaced.

If this compressor has been sitting around for a long time, I'd be suspicous about the oil in the system. A complete system flush and adding the appropriate oil into the system would be the "proper" way to rehab the system.

On the stock VW Westy set up (late model at least) the high pressure port is in the cabinet on the left side. The low pressure is in the engine compartment.

What do you mean by "sky high" pressure on the low side? Yes, there are low and high pressure switches on the system (also in that cabinet). To expose those, you'll have to remove the shelves, and the then the corner section (inside) of the rear most cabinet.

A high pressure in the system doesn't mean you have the correct amount of refrigerant. Just a high amount of something. The AC system has refrigerant, and oil in it. The oil is in there for lubrication of the compressor. There is also a small amount of water, which can creep into the system when it is set up. That's why there is an receiver/dryer....to keep that contained. In a system that is leaky, you can get too much water...which is not good for the compressor.

With the engine running and pressure gauge hooked up to the low and high pressure sides, you should see a difference in pressure. If there isn't, the compressor isn't working. When the clutch on the compressor kicks in the difference between the low and high sides should be dramatic.