Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2006 08:06:19 -0400
From:         "Higginbotham, David A." <dhigginbotham@HAZENANDSAWYER.COM>
Subject:      What would you do

I have to make a decision and I need some advice. I want to do an engine conversion for all the obvious reasons and I have a couple of choices.

What I got: 82 westy that has had a lot of work done on it in the last couple of years. It is in darn good condition mechaincally, recent brake system overhaul, new suspension parts, ball joints, shocks, etc. recent redo of all gas lines, drop the tank, etc., new motor mouunts, good tires, alloy wheels, new paint on the poptop, new muffler, 40k on a rebuilt aircooled engine but having some probs with the fuel injection I can't figure out, all camping equipment working. Has been in the family for 11 years.

What I have been offered: 85 westy, asking $4500, possible problems with tranny, have to race engine to get it into 1st, had a top end rebuild 5 years ago but the front of the engine fell out in flight shortly after, long story but I helped him get it back in we didn't see any bad damage but leaves me with less than full condfidence in the mechanic, I suspect it needs fuel line redo, needs brake work, none of the suspension parts have been replaced, no alloy's, cheap tires, all the camping equipment working, clean interior.

On the one hand the 82 is in good shape but I will have to cut a hole for the radiator, run coolant lines, heater core, etc. in other words it will take some as yet unknown amount of extra work to the engine conversion. On the other hand the 85 is plumbed but needs a lot of other bring-it-up-to-date work.

What would you do?

David Higginbotham 82 Westfalia Silk Hope, NC