Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2006 09:44:51 -0700
From:         Jason Simpson <xiojason@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Tried this cruise control?
Comments: To: Mike Elliott <j.michael.elliott@gmail.com>

On 6/7/06, Mike Elliott <j.michael.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > The Audiovox cruise control has me at loggerheads, trying to figure out > how to attach the linkage to the throttle body, and hang the control > cable so it all lines up and doesn't interfere with any of the other > bits on top of the 1.9L WBX engine.

The way I did mine was using the _throttle mounting bracket with locking washer_, I drilled one of the holes slightly larger, and then drilled a matching hole in roughly the center of the hanging lip around the front of the engine compartment (basically right above the transmission), letting it hang down vertically. I fixed this in place with a small bolt, nut, and locking washer. This was a bit awkward to do and required some additional hands to tighten the bolt n the engine compartment while I was underneath with my arm up above the transmission, blindly holding a wrench on the nut.

Back in the engine compartment, I removed the nut from the end of the servo cable and, with the threaded bit of the servo cable pointing toward the rear, I fed it through the corrugated hole hanging down on the throttle mounting bracket I'd just installed. I slipped on the corrugated locking washer over the end of the servo cable and held the assembly in place with the nut removed from the servo cable earlier. This put the cable almost parallel to the original throttle cable.

I attached the _bead chain_ to the _bead chain eyelet connector_, removed the bolt that holds the original throttle cable in place, holding the end of the throttle cable in position with my thumb while the bolt was removed, slipped the bolt through the eyelet on the connector, then tightened the bolt back into place firmly holding the throttle cable. The original throttle and the servo throttle cables are pulling on the very same piece (one pinched under the bolt, the other looped around it above) at nearly the same angle.

Then it was a matter of eliminating slack by cutting beads off the chain.

In my case, I have a large empty void in the right rear part of the engine compartment, and that's where I mounted the servo itself. The cable loops around, just outside the heat sheilding, then turns around above the transmission and into the mounting bracket.

Hope this helps! -jrs