Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 7 Jun 2006 10:32:34 -0700
From:         kevin obrien <kevindobrien@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Engine knocking noise: description

Hello Sam: The sound is like a deep-throated knocking...like something is loose. It "keeps time" with the engine.. ie: it increases as rpm increases. When starting the engine cold it takes 30 seconds or so to start making the noise (ie: not immediate upon start) I have aux. VDO oil temp and pressure gauges installed and their readings are normal both when idling and at speed. The van has normal power...seems to run fine other than the noise. Coolant temp has remained normal.

I keep an eye on my gauges and an ear out for noises whenever I drive the Vanagon. This noise appeared out of nowhere from what I can tell, ie: no gradual warning.

Any ideas on diagnosis are appreciated. Thank Kevin --- Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net> wrote:

--------------------------------- What are the sounds like? Be more descriptive. When do they happen,have they happened frequently, or did you hear it once for a fewseconds when you started the van and then shut it off? (which is not abad idea though) Do you know what it sounds like when a lifter hasleaked yet not filled back up?

This sounds ominous but isn't. Maybe this is all you have. But, then,maybe not.

Answer to the list so others can read the description of the sound andhelp you out.

Sam

-- Sam WaltersBaltimore, MD89 Syncro GL, Zetec Inside85 Westy Weekender85 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbodiesel - to become veggie oil poweredAll incoming and outgoing email scanned by automatically updated copy of Norton AntiVirus.