Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Jun 2006 07:27:33 -0700
From:         Robert Keezer <warmerwagen@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Bentley Manual for Vanagon USELESS?

" Now, can anyone tell me how to put the [exlpetive deleted] gas tank back up into place AND insert the two vent plug hoses at the top of the tank on each side of the saddle where no hands will fit and the lines are too short to plug them in before raising the tank into place??????????????"

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You buy some new replacement hoses that are double the original length. Silicone or soap the grommets . When the tank is up, you reach in and push the crossover vent lines into the grommets. It's hard, but can be done- must be done!

This way, the tank can be on the floor while you reconnect all the lines , and you will have less trouble reattaching the crossover vent tube.

Robert

1982 Westfalia

Howard Allen <Howard.Allen@FAIRCHILDSEMI.COM> wrote: Hi folks, When I bought my '84 Vanagon last fall it came with a nice new looking Bentley Official Manual for my new acquisition and a dead waterpump. I ordered the new waterpump and other assorted cooling stuff in anticipation of replacing the pump this spring. I got all my tools out last weekend and opened the manual to find the detailed instructions on replacing my waterpump. I was alarmed to discover that, unlike my trusty Haynes manuals on my other cars, this manual is a collection of pictures and part numbers but no instructions that I could see.

Did I just not find the right place in the manual or is this just a parts number and exploded picture $85 waste of money??? Does anyone have a recommendation for a good owners manual (I have always found Haynes to be pretty good, but if there is something else people use I will buy)??

Yes, after a LOT of guess work I did end up getting out the pump and replacing it (just barely avoiding the impossible looking job of removing the primary drive pulley in an AC equipped Vanagon). I also discovered that one of those really long steel pipes was rusted out after gently tapping it with a screwdriver (guess how many quarts of water are trapped in one of those tubes after draining the system?). Now, can anyone tell me how to put the [exlpetive deleted] gas tank back up into place AND insert the two vent plug hoses at the top of the tank on each side of the saddle where no hands will fit and the lines are too short to plug them in before raising the tank into place??????????????

Best Regards Howard Allen S. Portland, Maine

"Incompetents invariably make trouble for people other than themselves." - Larry McMurtry