Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2006 09:38:41 -0600
From:         vanagonvw <vanagonvw@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Clutch Pedal Freeplay

Hi folks,

I checked the archives, and found some ideas and thoughts on 'adjusting' the clutch pedal freeplay, and figured to ask the present day experts for their opinions as well. (I know there is no formal "adjustment" procedure....)

My 81 AC has never had an issue with the clutch pedal free play, always grabbed near the top of the travel, in spec with what bentley calls for, the master and slave cylinders are fairly new, as in less than 25K, and the clutch itself is somewhere around 40K, and does not exhibit any apparent problems.

This week I was on a trip, and noticed that the pedal has developed a lot of free play at the top of the travel. It seems to have 'moved down' to where the clutch grabs maybe 3/4" from the floor, which makes it really uncomfortable to drive when it comes to pulling away from the light, as it grabs quicker than I am used to and sometimes I stall it, or lug the motor. That is how I know something has changed quite a bit.

It shifts cleanly, not grinding, and the only noticeable differences is in where the clutch grabs on the pedal travel. Other than that, nothing seems to have changed.

The archives mention a pin that may be worn, and also how much of a pain it is to get at that area. I am not going to be able to get at it from a physical perspective, so I thought I better ask if there may be some other things to check, or look at before I have to pay to get it repaired.

Has this happened to anyone else? Can I still use the van, or am I perhaps approaching a failure mode that would leave me in the middle of nowhere?

I would appreciate hearing opinions and experiences, and will be digging out my Bentley later today to see if there is anything else I can look at to try and get the clutch free play back to where it ought to be. I know that in a hydraulic system, there is no actual adjustment like with a cable, so I am somewhat taken aback that it has 'slippped' or 'moved' the way that it has......

Much obliged for any thoughts or suggestions.

Thanks a lot, and regards from Utah,

John