Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:15:19 -0400
From:         John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Removing the poptop -- how many people?

I have done a very small amount of canvas work on boats in my somewhat checkered past. Looking at my new tent from Gowesty about a year ago, I saw absolutely no reason to remove the top. After doing it 1.7 times (another story), I highly recommend NOT removing the top. It is more work, more risk, and doesn't make the hardest job (the aft corners) any easier. I did the job myself, with a cordless drill, in the foothills of the Rockies on the side of the road in 2 afternoons (1.7 times). First off make sure you are not installing the tent inside out, lest you install it 1.7 times also. Prop up the top with something so it is comfortable to work. Install the tent to the top starting at the aft corners. Then do the front corners. You will have to unbolt the forward supports (one at a time) to slide the tent over them (vastly easier than removing the top). Then do one screw on each side in the middle. Then attach the top to the van starting at the aft corners, then the forward corners, then the middle of each side, then the rest of the screws at your leisure. You have to do the corners first and try to make the tent have the same tension all the way around. If you don't do the corners first, you may have "bunched up" canvas somewhere. The tent is good quality and easy to install. After doing it .7 times, I realized it was inside out. I was mentally slamming Gowesty for making their tent inside out until I came to the realization that it was I, in fact, that was inside out. I removed the tent, and reinstalled it the right way. Gowesty makes and sells really good stuff. This is one of the few times I disagree with their advice. Don't remove the top. It increases the workload and manpower requirements and doesn't really make the job any easier. The only positive aspect I can see is you get to have several friends over to help with the top/beer.

Just my opinion, but having done this 1.7 times, I think I have 70% more experience than most people who have accomplished this.

John Vanaru.com