Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Jun 2006 23:52:26 -0500
From:         Dana Showers <dshowers@CPDS.NET>
Subject:      Removing the poptop -- how many people?

John,

You had the exact same experience I had with the GoWesty product, but I also had previously tried this with a really cheap quality one from Rocky Mountain or JCWhitney a few years back and ripped the canvas. Luckily, GoWesty's non-cotton one is of better quality and size. So, I guess I have done this about 2.7 times.

I also heartily recommend leaving the fiberglass on. I see absolutely no advantage, except that it may take more time because you are taking off the entire roof. The screws are not any easier to get to in my opinion. Plus you will get a really good work out of your arms trying to put it back together from below.

Some warnings: Do as John says and do the corners first. Study the fabric enough to realize that the fabric needs to stretch more in circumference than in vertical height and use this to your advantage. When you put the rear holder on, stretch the fabric out to the ends, freeing up fabric, before screwing in each screw. The screws are very easy to strip. And the metal is easy to strip. You may need some #8 1/2" screws to replace the #6 1/2" screws in some holes that have worn too big or some of both of those to replace the originals.

Dana 85 Westy 1.9TD fully restored in time to hit my first deer! 04 Beetle 1.9TDi

Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2006 00:15:19 -0400 From: John Reddick <SVYOLO@YAHOO.COM> Subject: Re: Removing the poptop -- how many people?

I have done a very small amount of canvas work on boats in my somewhat checkered past. Looking at my new tent from Gowesty about a year ago, I saw absolutely no reason to remove the top. After doing it 1.7 times (another story), I highly recommend NOT removing the top. It is more work, more risk, and doesn't make the hardest job (the aft corners) any easier. I did

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.8.3/360 - Release Date: 6/9/2006