Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2006 15:02:08 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Misfires when damp
Comments: To: ------------- <VW4X4@verizon.net>

you are correct that plugs/wires and cycling the ignition, i guess i didn't digest that part, sorry. anything that involves cycling the engine and solving a problem even if temporary is usually related to the sensors in the system.

my stumbling problem was simply the 02 sensor. at first it was very intermittent, then daily but would go away after 10 minutes, then it wouldn't even go away after that. I've never seen a vehicle where the 02 had more effect on how it operates! the experts on the list had me replace the TPS, temp2 and look at the AMM and ICV...but it was just the 02. as always the quick check is to disconnect the 02 from the system and see if the problem is solved. you can do the same thing with eliminating the temp2 as a possible problem sensor but the car will not (usually) start with the temp2 disconnected.

i have a full digifant troubleshooting manual on PDF if that would help you.

Shawn

On 6/8/06, ------------- <VW4X4@verizon.net> wrote: > > Waste of money.... plug wires, cap. rotor, would not > fix themselves by cycling the ignition. > > robert shawn feller wrote: > > > how old are you plug wires, cap and rotor? I would start with the simple > > stuff there if they are more then a year old. > > > > Shawn > > > > On 6/8/06, Richard Golen <rgolen@umassd.edu> wrote: > > > >> > >> Hi, > >> > >> > >> During the winter my 87 Westy began to stumble when the engine was > >> damp, usually after a heavy rain storm. The stumbling is cured by > >> turning the ignition off and back on again, and goes away after about > >> 5 or 10 minutes of driving. > >> > >> Any one have an idea as to what the problem is? > >> > >> Thanks. > >> > >> > >> Ric > >> 87 Westy > >> 56 Oval Window Bug - celebrating its 50th birthday in two weeks!! > >> > > > > > > > > -- > > shawn feller > > mt. gilead, ohio > > 419.571.6400 [mobile] > > www.carboncow.com > > www.carboncow.net > > > > > >

-- shawn feller mt. gilead, ohio 419.571.6400 [mobile] www.carboncow.com www.carboncow.net