Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:32:00 -0400
From:         Edward Maglott <emaglott@BUNCOMBE.MAIN.NC.US>
Subject:      Re: I Love My New Cruise Control (Long)
Comments: To: Richard Koerner <RKoerner@AVANTMEDICAL.COM>

My old cruise control used to develop slack because the clamp thing that held the sleeve of the actuating cable would slowly slip back on the cable. Every once in a while I would re-orient it.

I am seeking one of these CCS100 cruise controls, but am having trouble finding one. Several places like advance auto online and pep boys online advertise them for about $100, but are out of stock. I hope they are still making these units? i do see them on ebay for $150+, but would prefer to get one from a major vendor for $100.

Ewdard

At 10:12 AM 6/12/2006, Richard Koerner wrote: >Success UPDATE!: Per listmember Jason's hint last week about checking >the slack in the (Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control) servo unit cable to >the throttle, I discovered mine was too long by 3 links of the ball >chain. I trimmed them off, so as now to have just a small amount of >slack. (I don't know if slack developed after months of use or whether >I just had installed it incorrectly.) > >What a difference!! Now the unit locks in immediately after pushing the >"SET" button, and it holds rock solid! Speed variation is maybe >plus/minus 1/2 MPH; when you "tap up" or "tap down" to raise or lower >set point, that happens immediately, too. > >So, I'm very pleased with the unit, and highly recommend it. My problem >was that the servo was at the very far end of its travel, and couldn't >keep up to compensate with speed variations. Now it's where it should >be; an easy fix that now makes perfect sense. > >Rich >'85 GL >San Diego > >-----Original Message----- >From: Richard Koerner >Sent: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:38 AM >To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM >Subject: Re: I Love My New Cruise Control (Long) > >Jason, > >I, too, have the Audiovox CCS 100 cruise control, but have been >frustrated with getting proper performance. After a lot of >trial-and-error testing with the dip switches, here's my best >recommendation at switch settings: > >(Note: I have an '85 GL with 4 speed manual and hooked up 2 magnets to >the CV Joint hub, and I have a vacuum "accumulator" I got from NAPA >hooked up in-line to the vacuum source, which was leftover from my old >cruise control. Also, the Black Jumper next to Switch #1 is removed.) > >Switch 1 ON Pulses per Mile @ 4000 >Switch 2 OFF Pulses per Mile @ 4000 >Switch 3 ON For using magnets on axle & pickup >Switch 4 OFF Sensitivity HIGH (for low power/heavy vehicles) >Switch 5 ON Sensitivity HIGH (for low power/heavy vehicles) >Switch 6 OFF Dash Control switch normally open >Switch 7 ON Coil is the selected Tachometer source > >With PPM at 2000, control drifts plus/minus 4 MPH. With PPM at 5000 or >8000, will not engage at all. > >Performance is OK, but usually goes something like this: I hold the >"SET" button for 3 to 5 seconds at 60 MPH and gently lift foot off gas >pedal; speed drifts down to about 55 MPH and cruise control takes over; >speed gradually increases (over about 45 second period) up to 60 MPH and >holds plus or minus 1 MPH. Speed will again drift downward going up a >gentle hill, and then overshoot when going down the other side, but >generally winds up around 60 MPH after a bit. > >My old (defunct) cruise control was a lot more responsive than this one; >should be fine on the long, flat drives, which is mostly what I got it >for. > >Rich >'85 GL > > >Subject: Re: I Love My New Cruise Control (Long) > >A friend and I tried putting one of these Audiovox cruise controls >into my '84 manual Westy this weekend. Something seems wrong. We set >it to use just the coil (no magnets, no VSS wire) for speed >regulation, but I've been unable to get the speed to stick at anything >other than ~35 mph in 3rd gear or ~50 mph in fourth. And even then >it's quite prone to drifting slower. Tapping the 'Accel' button often >gives a brief surge, but then falls off completely. > >At first, we suspected low vacuum, and tried just about every >connection the vacuum line would fit. Then, from some gerry list >archive searches, we thought that maybe the engine might just not >create enough vacuum, so we built and installed a vacuum reserve tank, >but that didn't seem to improve anything either. > >So now I'm stuck. Any hints or ideas on how to get the Audiovox CCS100 >working well in a manual transmission Vanagon? > >Thanks. > -jrs