Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2006 11:21:21 -0400
From:         Jonathan Poole <jfpoolio@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Roof Top Air Conditioning

Howdy List,

After a few years of full-timing I have been making to take the comfort of my westy to the next level. The westy is an '82 air cooled and will probably continue to be an air cooled 2.0 for quite some time. What I am trying to figure out is the best way to add air conditioning to my van. This will be used mostly while camping/stationary but also while driving if possible. I have seen some discussions on this topic on the list, and have seen evaporative conditioners, kooleraire units, fans, mounted window units, etc. but have noticed little discussion of roof top units (I hope this is not like starting another tire thread). Does anyone have any experience with mounting one of these (or similar) up top?

http://www.ducktec.com/itm00186.htm

It weighs just under 100 lbs would require a 14x14" hole etc. My thoughts are that this unit coupled with a honda generator/shore power could work. I would prefer something smaller and lighter but apart from dismantling and reconfiguring one of the tiny $100 units from wal-mart I have not been able to find anything smaller.

My goal is to find something that is permanent, low maintenance and effective. I would prefer to always have ac available and to avoid any additional setup before use. Stealth camping is a big part of my routine and my top stays down most of the time. For the last few years I have used a fan and have tried to park wisely (in the shade and in the mountains come august) but would like the ability to go to the hot places comfortably.

Also somewhat related, do any of you have a prefered full-time mounting position for a small honda type generator that would enable it's use while driving and minimize setup etc. when at a stationary location? I have some ideas, but would like to consider all options.

Thanks a bunch.

Jonathan Poole '82 AC Westy