Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Jun 2006 16:49:21 -0400
From:         Roger Sisler <ROGERSISLER2000@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: AC Converting/Procedure/R134A

Also, for flush, you can use mineral spirits. Real A/c flush cost more than fine wiskey. Folks use a funnel to pour it into stratigic areas of the a/c system. Then work it back and forth with air pressure. Then they blow it out the other end.What a mess. I have a flush gun. Cost about $35. It is a sig fuel bottle with a 3 ft line at the bottom, that attaches to a air nozzel. The cap has a valve stem that will accept a air chuck for pressurization. Fill it 3/4 with fine mineral spirits, and pump the remaining 1/4 up to 110psi. Before you let this monster squirt gun loose, attach a hose on the exit of the long a/c hose that you are cleaning. Put the other end in a 5 gallon bucket. When you finally pull the trigger(ask the hose if it feels lucky), the cleaner rumbels down the hose scraping anything in it's way. Kinda like that big ball that chased Indiana Jones. When it gets to the end,it erupts into the bucket. And I do mean erupts. 110psi is enough pressure to make clean the longest of Vanagon hoses. What a mess! But it is contained. A very civilized way to go, and it is great fun, too. One works their way through the Vanagon a/c circut, only removing specific o-rings(leave well enough alone!). For example, I did the evaperator inlet, to compressor parts as one. Another is the condensor inlet, to the reciever dryer, as one. The reciever dryer gets cleaned(if you are me,maybe) or replaced. The hose from the reciever to the evaperator gets done seperately. The long hose from the compressor to the condenser inlet is the fun one. 20 feet of fun.

When clean, get a big two ounce syringe from southern states( used to inject cows), and put two oz of oil in the condenser inlet,1 in the reciever dryer,two in the evaperator, and two in the remaining hoses. Be aware that the refrigerant will blow the oil areound and distrubute it evenly. Dont let it all go into the dryer.It wont leave too easily. I think 8 oz. go into the compressor fill hole. New green or whatever o-rings allround for the opened hoses. Get a 134a expansion valve and test your repair talent in tight places , by repalcing it without dropping the top westy cabinet.

If your compressor hasnt been used for a couple of years, it is bad. Our saviors at bus depot will sell a new one for $300. What happens is the shaft seal dosent get lubed , and it shrinks forever. The refrigerant then leaks out pretty quickly ,sometmes.Get a new one.not rebuilt.

Thats mostly it. Charging is another story.