Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Jun 2006 18:08:07 -0400
From:         Kragen Sitaker <kragen@POBOX.COM>
Subject:      Broke down in Omaha

My wife and I have been on the road in our '82 air-cooled 2-liter fuel-injected Vanagon for a while now; since my last post, we've driven from Kansas to Ohio, then back to New Mexico, then up to Omaha, where we burned a hole through one of our pistons. Cram Foreign Auto Parts on 72nd Street, staffed entirely with Volkswagen enthusiasts, has been very helpful in getting stuff fixed, and they contract out the engine rebuild work to a guy named John.

We've replaced more leaking fuel-injection lines during that time, gotten a new spare tire (although I couldn't get a matching spare --- wouldn't fit), glued the driver window gasket in place, replaced the broken pop-top joint and broken another one, made replacement refrigerator knobs out of Shapelock, snapped the fog light switch back into place, and "fixed" the passenger window so it would roll back up and down three times.

It's still noisy, gets 16mpg, has stinky exhaust, has a broken heater, leaks gasoline from the top of the tank (I think a new breather hose set would solve this, but I don't know where to get one on the road), doesn't have a working odometer, and has the battery isolator hooked up wrong.

We bought a canvas-bag top carrier from a Dollar General store for $10 IIRC; we fasten it to the boards that are bungeed to the top rails. In it we put low-value items we wouldn't mind having stolen.

It's been a pretty amazing trip so far. At the moment, we're up in Minneapolis in a rental car, which gets 23mpg and therefore costs less to drive long distances, even with the rental fee.

We added presets for the passenger-side rear-view mirror as follows. We put a permanent-marker cross on the outside of the door, where the passenger can see it in the rear-view mirror. Then we marked a spot on the mirror where the cross appears, and a third spot on the inside of the (rolled-up) window. Now to align the mirror correctly, the passenger need only adjust the mirror (sticking their hand through the small triangular window) until the three spots align in a line. We have an additional spot on the inside of the window for a second preset indicating my preferred mirror position.

John, the engine rebuilding guy, called to say that we were very lucky; we hadn't spoiled the heads, but we'd burned through one piston and a second one was just about to go. I'm glad it wasn't the valves.