Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 2)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Jun 2006 09:21:46 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Suggestion for List
Comments: To: Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com>

Nice reminder Loren! I don't go back that far, but I remember connecting to the internet on our exciting new 486DX with the brand new Windows 95. Heck, I remember trying to get Winfax Pro to work! That was such a different experience from what the web looks like today.

Mark my vote for the status quo. Like Loren I'm using FireFox and Gmail, and it works brilliantly. The way that threads are presented in Gmail, along with the GIANT storage, means that I am creating my own searchable archive of Vanagon lore. I like the way that Gerry offers me the choice of replying to all or to the poster only, whereas the SubaruVanagon Yahoo Group makes me dig up and paste the appropriate address in the box if I just want to make a personal reply. I'll have to check out Yahoo!'s new features; I haven't been on their site in ages!

You're an interesting bunch, Vanagonites, and I wouldn't miss it for the world!

Seeya, Jake

On 6/9/06, Loren Busch <starwagen@gmail.com> wrote: > > Sam said......I remember what computers were like 30 and 35 years ago and > am so > grateful for what we have now that a few imperfections or situations > that are not exactly identical to one another don't particularly bother > me. > > I have to jump in and second that. I've been in various online groups > since > early 1982, starting with the radical new Commodore modem that sold for > $107 > (first affordable modem for home use) and the Commodore Forum on > Compuserve, > one of the first 100 people to join worldwide. And started 'sufin the > Web' > in early 1994. What we have today is so far beyond what our imagination > could conceive in 1982 that there is no way to explain it. And it just > gets > better every day. Be thankful for what you have. > And BTW, the new features in the Yahoo groups seem to work well and I > personally like them. > > For info, using Mozilla and Gmail I'm having no problems with any of the > groups I'm active on. >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com