Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Jun 2006 12:41:37 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A throttle puzzle
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>

Hi Robert,

Jason said it came with the bolt on it, and I also have a picture of Mike Collum's install, and he has the same bolt.

I suppose I could find some bolt that seems a likely fit, but my machining skills don't extend to drilling nice holes through bolts

I don't see an obvious way to get this pin out. The top of the pin is flush with the throttle arm. With an inspection mirror, I can see that there is a screwdriver slot on the other end, but there's no way to get to it. Maybe if the throttle cable is removed from the pin it will pull right out? Stranger things can happen. The throttle cable passes through it and is somehow grabbed by it. I'm not seeing how.

I feel kind of stupid because I don't get how it is put together. And I hesitate to start disassembling that whole raft of levers and switch-pushers when the whole thing might really be a lot simpler than it appears. .

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") KG6RCR

On 6/18/2006 12:01 PM Robert Fisher wrote: > Er... don't you think he/somebody probably just removed the 'stud-like > thing' and replaced it with a bolt? It's been a while since I've had that > piece apart, but IIRC it's essentially a pin- seems like you could > finagle > another fastener without much trouble. Take it apart and look at it. > > Cya, > Robert > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Mike Elliott" <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > Sent: Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:35 AM > Subject: A throttle puzzle > > >> This is part of my ongoing saga about installing the Audiovox cruise >> control. I'm trying to find an elegant way to attach the servo >> ball-chain cable to the throttle. >> >> Jason Simpson seemed to have installed his in a nice fashion, and he was >> kind enough to post a picture of how he attached the servo. The picture >> is at http://flickr.com/photos/xio/162699929/in/photostream/ >> >> As can be seen, the servo cable connects to the same bolt that grabs the >> end of the throttle cable. >> >> Nice and tidy. >> >> But I don't have that nice bolt. See >> http://www.altavistaaudio.com/Westy/crusing.html >> >> I sure would like to attach my servo to the same spot, but this hardware >> difference has me puzzled. >> >> -- >> >> >> Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott >> 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus >> 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") >> KG6RCR >