Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:42:22 -0700
Subject:      Re: almost got syncro confiscated very long
Comments: To: Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>

Dude... I hate to say it but you're screwed. I have gone to court two times for traffic issues and have sat in on court for the fun of it a couple of other times here in Quesnel, it is also the time where things like Conservation and Wildlife and stuff like BC Rail take things to court as well. The one big thing that I have learned is that ignorance is not an excuse. The other thing that I did learn is that police are police, not judges. There is no point arguing with a police officer as they are going to give you a ticket no matter what - especially if you stat pushing their buttons. Yes, it is nice that your friend goes to the food bank is hard done by etc etc, but remember the police guy is doing his job and doesn't give a rats ass about your or anyone else's problems and wants this current problem to go away so they can eat donuts or do what ever they do best. If you make your problems their problem, they will give you more problems. Picture a rubber ball bouncing off a wall - it will come back at you, so don't throw it hard. I personally would have told him you had no idea that what you were doing was wrong, comment him on how tough his job must be as he has to deal with other people who are probably not so nice about getting told this (ie kiss his behind) and then sincerely thank him for the nice and very thoughtful warning BEFORE the ticket book comes out. If the ticket books comes out, express disappointment that it cames out but take the ticket, be nice and leave as little of an impression behind as possible. You don't want to be remembered by the cop. Take the ticket to court, tell the judge that you are guilty (AS IGNORANCE IS NOT AN EXCUSE, PERIOD) but you feel that the fine is unjust for said reasons and that you would never every dream of doing it again as you now know better. The judge will ask the cop what happened, the cop then will say nice things about you because you were nice to him, the judge will then, usually, reduce the fine or even throw the case out and say not to do it again.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel-Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3

Internet http://www.fastforward.ca Email sales@fastforward.ca

- Engine Conversions and Accessories for classic water-cooled Volkswagens - Electrical harness fabrication and customization

Due to the large quantity of email we receive, please include previous email correspondence when replying. This will allow us to read the full dialogue in one message so that we may provide you a quicker and more accurate response.

hey all, this contains very little vanagon content so move if not interested. this goes out to any law type people on the list. and if any of you have advice please pmail me. so yesterday, Father's day, i went morel mushroom picking here in westen montana. I know that in order to pick commercially you need a permit. i was not, however, aware that if you are picking for personal consumption you are breaking a federal law if you do not have a permit.

i arrived at the trail head on saturday, in my 87 syncro westy, i drove up to a couple of forest service law enforcement guys that were on the side of the road and i asked them if this was the such and such trail head (not giving away my location, sorry) and they responded " yep right up that road" . that was is it. they knew i was there to pick mushrooms because that's what all the traffic was up there for the past week. they never said make sure you got a permit or even asked me if i had one.

so i got to trail head and for 2 days was pickin like mad, the little beauties were everywhere! must have picked close to 5-5 gallon buckets worth. could have kept going but my back was blowing out and i was so dirty were charred forest i looked like i was fighting forest fires. i met up with friends later that day who were also in the area picking. i camped out with them saturday. we cooked morel mushroom stroganoff with marinated flank steak, morels in a cream sauce with pasta, and for breakfast, what else, scrambled eggs and morels, oh what a treat! so on sunday they hitched a ride with me in my syncro and we began driving out of the area down the forest road happy as smurfs with our mushroom take.

then things went down hill. I need to point out that the syncro is purring, this road is not too burly but i did some off roading and all i can say is i love this van. as we turned a bend in the road, the same exact forest service guy from the day before, has about 7 people stopped on the side of the road and appeared to be ticketing them and the flatbed of his truck is full of confiscated buckets of mushrooms. as i approached he flagged us down and i immediately thought oh fudge! whats going on here. i rolled down my window and he said "how was the mushroom harvest guys?" not being a commercial picker i responded "mushroom harvest?" he took that comment as us trying to hide something so began walking around the my syncro looking into all the windows to find something in plain view to use as probable cause to proceed with us further. sure enough he spotted my friends mushrooms in the rear hatch window, came up back to my window and said "pull on up by my truck, we have some business to take care of." at this point i was cool, thinking he thought we were commerical, which we were not, and he was just going to make us cut the mushrooms in half, so even if we were commercial, we could not sell them.

so, we pulled over to his truck and we got out of the van. he was already on the defense (i presumed that because his truck was full of confiscated shrooms and he was already busting some other people) and asked my friends for their permits. He never asked me one question other then when we were initially stopped. my friends explained we were not commercial we were picking for ourselves. he said that we still needed a permit for that. My friends said that we did not know that. he further stated the the permit was free of charge, you just have to drive to one of the forest stations (which was about an hour drive) mon-fri from 9-5. my buddy then said what's the point of having a free permit to pick mushrooms on OUR public lands which WE own thru our tax dollars and how were we supposed to obtain a permit when we all have full time jobs. the ranger was beginning to shut down at that point, dialogue was becoming futile i could tell. he then told us that we were picking illegally and that he was going to go ahead and ticket all of us and confiscate our mushrooms. That's when my buddy may have made thing worse but was right in saying something. he explained to the officer that was BS because for the last three years he has been working with enviro groups to protect these very lands that we stood on. additionally he added that because he makes very little money and was already a regular the food bank, this was his first time picking muchroom that was going to be used to feed his family, now he was going to be hit with a 125 dollar ticket on top of that. he said that's just plain wrong, especially for a free permit that they give to anyone (except for the working man who can't drive an hour and meet normal business hours because of our jobs). you can't even get this permit thru the mail or on line which is silly because i get all my fishing etc... permits on line no problem. at this point the officer had enough and was going back to his truck to issue us tickets. i was getting pretty ticked off at what was taking place before me, since i was under the illusion that what i was doing and have been doing for years, was perfectly legal.

At this same moment a fellow mushroom extrodinaire appeared out of the forest. all he was holding was a video camera, no mushrooms. this gentleman happened to be a friend of my friends, and he also happens to be an authority on mushrooms and such. this guy began video taping my buddy's statement and what had happend and proceeded to video tape the forest ranger and his truck and all that that he had confiscated. a mountain bike was even confiscated by someone using it to ride the trails and pick mushrooms. he then asked the officer if he'd like to comment, but was declined.

a few moments later the officer came back with our citations which read illegal removal of forest property. $125 fine. That sucked! he also photographed us and my syncro (which i believe was for his personal use hee hee) he said that he did not believe we did not know we had to have permits. so I exclaimed that there were no frickin signs and when i arrived yesterday and spoke directly with the officer, he informed me nothing of needing a permit, and even gave me directions. My buddy said why can't you just let us keep the mushrooms? the officer who had no patience left for him was done with us and said we can take this up with the federal magistrate (which we will) and if we have any more to say to him he was going to confiscate my syncro (i guess because it was transporting highly illegal contrband!) Naturally we shut up as nothing further could be said to this jerk. i don't think he had the power to take my rig but i was done with him anyways.

So we drove off mad as hell and 2 buckets light of mushrooms and $375 poorer. oh yeah i forgot mention, he only saw my friends mushrooms in plain view, never searched my van, so he never discovered my massive qauntity of morels happily hiding in the closet and in various cabinets, GOD BLESS WSETY"S! i only put them in those spaces to make room for my friends and their gear and to keep my 2 dogs from crushing them.

So now, what to do, i am going to fight this not based on monetary value but based on principle. we pay for these lands, morels are naturally occuring phenomena and tasty. it IS our right to pick these for personal use. As far as the permit goes, why are we paying a forest service officer (which make more money then regular forest rangers) to drive up and down an area on wekends no less busting people for doing something that is perfectly legal with a free permit? would our tax dollars be better used by maybe putting one lower payed forest service personal at a station near where all the picking is going on to hand out permit? or better yet, there are self check-in campgrounds where you have to pay by the honor system, why can't there be self check-in for FREE permits to pick wild mushrooms? makes no sense. i am going to let this go to court, may still end up paying the fine and legal fees, but this is stupid and somebody needs to get the message out about how silly this is and what a horrible watse of tax dollars this is. these are our public lands, we own them, mushroom picking is one of the perfectly legal uses we are allowed to do. the free permit makes no sense.

i would love to hear input on this from any legal, enviro experts about my case. save you emails if you are going to just flame this because you do not agree, i am not looking to start a three week long thread with everyones opinion that colgs up everyones already overloaded mail boxes, just pmail me don't bring it to the list. Thanks for letting me vent and oh yeah, i have about 5 screen doors worth of morels drying in my garage illegally picked apparently, but taste mighty fine! jason 87 syncro westy (fungi blackmarket mobile)

so many roads to ease my soul....