Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Jun 2006 23:30:12 -0400
From:         Todd Olson <todd.olson@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      FW: We made it! The Great Michigan to Florida Trip. I thumb my
              nose at you Alberto!

The Great Michigan to Florida Road Trip! I thumb my nose at you Alberto!

We made it back from Florida! We had a great vacation in the bus!

Tropical storm Alberto, tornado warnings, forest fires, terrible road construction, oil pressure buzzers and engine oil pressure issues, high 90 degree temps, and 50 hours of driving could not stop us from having a good time. It was quite an adventure to say the least. Anyone can go to Disney in a new car, we decided to make it a bit more challenging and do it in a 20 year old bus. It became our Everest and we are glad to report that we reached the summit and safely descended. All in all when I discovered what made my old friend unhappy and what made her happy she ran like a finely tuned sports car. (I'm talking about the bus, not my wife) On this trip we became one with our van.

Thanks to my friends for moral support when I thought my engine was going to puke in the Smokey Mountains on the way down. Brien Dews was my waiting to look up help online if broke down, Pete Owsiaowski stared at waterboxer engine pictures and chanted in German all night, and Scott Hengert did the rod bearing dance every night before he went to bed. What ever it was, it worked. Thanks for the help. I discovered that pulling a trailer, running the AC, being over loaded, and running the engine at 4000 RPM's and doing 70MPH in 98 degree temps while climbing Cumberland Gap is a formula for raising the engine temperature and thinning out your oil to the point oil pressure buzzers go off. We shut off the AC, removed the front bra to increase airflow to the radiator and slowed down and took it easy until we were out of the mountains. That day it seemed the buzzer would go off all the time I took my foot off the gas. I added some STP Oil treatment and it seemed to help and we were cruising again. Then the only time the buzzer would go off is when I would take an exit ramp from the freeway and when the RPM's would get to down to 3000. I discovered this could be remedied by taking it out of fourth gear. I don't understand the correlation yet but it worked.

I also discovered my drain hose for the AC is plugged. After running it for an hour my rear AC unit became a waterfall! So we turned it off and went without AC for most of the trip in upper 90 degree temps.

Last Saturday night as we were heading South we stayed in Lake City, FL and that was the first we heard about Alberto. It was scheduled to hit Orlando Sunday afternoon. We decided to get up early the next morning and boogie down to Orlando before the storm hit and come up with a plan when we get there. We were on the freeway coming into Orlando when the most ominous clouds I have ever seen came in. It blacked out the sun and turned day into night. It was not raining yet but you would swear it was 10:00 at night. Up ahead I saw a wall of water and brake lights on the freeway. At the last minute I hit an exit ramp from the middle lane. I knew if I kept going there would most likely be a pile up accident. As soon as I got off the freeway it hit us. It was raining sideways and looked exactly like it does on when the idiot from the Weather Channel stands out there in the wind with a microphone and a rain jacket getting hit by flying debris. The rain was so hard you could not see five feet in front of you. The only thing you could see was palm leaves and tree branches flying by the windshield. The van just sat there and rocked back and forth. Cars just stopped where they were because no one could see to drive. After about 10 minutes we limped our way into a Disney lodge and decided it would not be good idea to camp for the next three days because Alberto had come to stay. So we stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge for two nights and the Polynesian one night. The rain was much needed because it is very dry in the south. The day before they had to shut down the main road into Disney because of forest fires. We talked to other guests that said they stayed at the pool and ashes were raining on them the day before.

It rained most of the time we were at Disney but it was great. I learned that the rain from a Tropical Storm is like bathwater. So it was so warm and we just enjoyed the moment and had fun. We felt like little kids jumping around in the flooded parking lots and sidewalks. The good news is there were short lines for the rides at Disney. I guess people felt it wise to stay home when there are tornado watches and warnings. We didn't. :-)

On the way home we got stuck in construction backups to many times to count. One that was a little scary was when we were in Northern Georgia North of Atlanta. We were getting into the Smokey Mountain foothills and they had a four lane super highway down to one lane. As we creep along stopping and going we noticed up ahead a lot of smoke. It turned out that a forest fire had broke out along the interstate and the strong winds and spread it up the mountain side. It was so smoky it was difficult to see. It filled the valley with smoke. The scary thing is as you were going around these winding roads you did not know if it was going to be worse around the corner. And if it was worse then where are you going to go. You are stuck in one lane traffic and you can't turn around. On one side is a one foot drop off and on the other is a guard rail. There is only one way out and that was to keep going. It was a little freaky.

But I am happy to report that on the drive home the bus ran like a well tuned sports car. We did 70 MPH all the way pulling a trailer and still got 19.5 MPG. And the oil pressure buzzer did not go off as long as I took it out of fourth gear after doing highway speeds and entering an exit ramp.

It was a great vacation. We set out on this journey knowing it would bring some clarity to our decision. We have been wondering if we should upgrade to a Eurovan Camper for speed and reliability or keep our faithful Westy. When we were going down and had all the stressful mechanical moments I was ready to sell it. But now that we are home and I am looking back on the experience and how much fun it was we can not wait to take the bus on her next adventure.

Wishing you many miles of smiles!

Todd Olson

Buses By the Beach

<http://www.busesbythebeach.com/> www.busesbythebeach.com