Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Jun 2006 11:28:31 -0700
From:         Ian Cooley <ianrcooley@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Rust removal.

[Sorry for the double post, but I thought this would be more useful with a subject line.]

So, I take the bra off my van to unveil a consistent spread of rust across its entire front end. I was able to find a great deal of chatter about sandblasting in the archives, but thought there may be an alternative means to taking this off. If possible, I would like to conduct as many of the repairs on this car as possible myself and I don't have the space nor skill to sandblast the car (I've gotten the impression it is very easy to warp the sheet metal). A post on AutoBodyStore.com suggest an 8" buffer with 80 grit paper and a day's worth of elbow grease. Obviously, I want to take care of this problem as thoroughly as possible--no sense messing around with rust--so if it would be safer to simply have this sandblasted professionally, I won't hesitate to go that route. Any suggestions or advice on how to proceed? Thanks so much for you help in advance!!!

P.s. = obviously, a coat of primer and paint for future protection from this very problem is to follow. Again, though eager to use this car as a learning device and familiarize myself with the work inevitably associated with owning a vehicle of this type, I am an extremely green "mechanic" and would appreciate any tips or pointers to be aware of during this process, as well.

-- Standing here, I see a shadow on the sun.