Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2006 19:23:35 -0700
From:         Keith Ovregaard <kovregaard@COMCAST.NET>
Subject:      Re: Clam shell mod for 15" wheel

It would be easier to show you what I did by send pics, but here's the way I ended up doing the mod on my van, FWIW. This mod drops the clamshell about 1.5-2 inches in the back to let the tire rest on the cross-member and keeps the clamshell from hitting the frame while opening or closing. Taking out the 2 spring-bars allows more room above and removing some of the frame gives enough room side to side to keep the steering shaft from binding.

In a nut shell, after removing the clamshell, I sawed off the rear of the clamshell beyond the hinges with a sawsall and metal blade, rounded the rough edges, made 4 lowering brackets, removed the upper tire spring-bars, sawed off the passenger-side frame in an arc, rounded that rough edge, bolted the brackets to the fixed hinge on the frame, bolted the other end of the brackets to the clamshell hinge, cut a 12-18" long plastic split-loom with some grease inside to slide over the steering shaft to keep the tire from rubbing (works great). A little underbody spray on the frame metal and you should be ready to shoe-horn that tire into it's new home.

This is by no means a perfect solution, but it does do the job. I am able to store a Michelin LTX LT215/75/R15 on a Rhein wheel

Email me next week if you want pics.

Keith O. 90 Westy Syncro