Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jun 2006 13:21:34 -0400
From:         Don in North Carolina <vanagondon@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: conflicting cooling problem data...(this one is for the true
              experts...)
Comments: To: robert shawn feller <carboncow@gmail.com>

On 6/24/06, robert shawn feller <carboncow@gmail.com> wrote: > I've just about had it trying to figure out why my gauge/LED tell me I'm > running very warm and often "hot" when I'm stopped. > >SNIP all to familiar tale of woe<

My 1988 had been running hot - really too hot, not just the gauge. I replaced the thermostat assemby, complete with new housing, thermostat and temp senders and the radiator complete with a new fan switch.

The result is that the van is no longer overheating BUT the gauge now says it is. Reads a full needle width above the LED, and when stopped it will rise enough to flash the LED - and then the fan starts to cycle in LOW speed.

So I have the same issue - the van is not overheating but the guage says it is. The radiator fan runs normally as it did before, but at a gauge reading that is far too high. The local shop tried a different sensor (unfortunatly, they had thrown my old one away) and went as far as to put a different gauge cluster in to test - that cooling guage read the same high amount. I am beginning to think that there may be a bad batch of sensors out there that are not giving the correct readings at the correct temperatures, as your ohm readings indicate.

Anybody got an old working sensor I can try??

-- Don in Reidsville, NC 1986 Kawasaki Concours 1988 Vanagon GL (Sylvia) 2001 Subaru Outback (H-6) "I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage