Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:30:04 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: how do you test and a/c compressor?
Comments: To: Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com>

Robert and others...

We tossed gauges on the a/c today. Although its been a month since we topped it off here is what is shown today with the compressor engaged.

lowside: 35-40 highside: 0

even if it was low on refrigerant I would expect some high side pressures. any thoughts here before i go further and how to test?

bad compressor blocked high side (evap or most likely x-valve?)

I don't know if we'll have time today but I'm going to pull the new filter/dryer off then apply suction/pump to both high and the low side and see if we can tell if there is flow at those open ports.

Shawn

On 6/24/06, robert shawn feller <carboncow@gmail.com> wrote: > > Mine does show backwards too, but I didn't reference the book for my > needs. I just new from experience which was the suction (low) and high side. > thanks for the input... > > It's been serveral weeks since I played with the a/c system, so the gauges > go back on tomorrow as I try to figure this out. I'll have some specific > readings...that may tell us what to look for. > > Shawn > > > On 6/24/06, Robert Fisher <refisher@mchsi.com> wrote: > > > > You do have the right ports, right? They're labeled backwards in the > > diagram > > in the Bentley on 87.2, though they _may_ have updated that in recent > > printings... the high side is the hose labeled '10' that runs between > > the > > dryer and the evaporator in my edition. > > > > Good luck, > > Robert > > > > ----- Original Message ----- > > From: "robert shawn feller" <carboncow@GMAIL.COM> > > To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> > > Sent: Saturday, June 24, 2006 7:10 PM > > Subject: how do you test and a/c compressor? > > > > > > > is there a way to tell from the high/low pressure ports and gauges? > > > > > > we recharged my system and it has no cooling effect. we cannot see any > > > major > > > leaks and its holding pressure. we pumped it down for several hours > > and > > > this > > > included a new filter. since values are high on the gauges (compared > > to > > > what > > > my a/c chart state) i'm considering and obstruction most likly in the > > > x-valve or a crapped compressor. since i have to most likly drop the > > top > > > to > > > get to the x-valve i'm wondering if there is a way to test the > > compressor? > > > > > > shawn feller, ohio > > > 1986 vw vanagon gl westfalia > > > 1993 vw eurovan gl > > > plus a couple of saabs, boats, jet skis, dog and wife (all require to > > much > > > maintenance, accept the dog)... > > > > > > www.carboncow.com > > > www.carboncow.net > > > > > > > -- > > shawn feller, ohio > 1986 vw vanagon gl westfalia > 1993 vw eurovan gl > plus a couple of saabs, boats, jet skis, dog and wife (all require to much > maintenance, accept the dog)... > > www.carboncow.com > www.carboncow.net >