Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2006 13:54:47 -0700
From:         Mark C <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM>
Subject:      Nokian : WR and CS

After much internal debate with external feedback I finally went with

Nokian WR XL in 205 65 15 ... on Rhein wheels ...

These have some advantages over the CS 1. lighter, hence better for acceleration and braking 2. may have a longer trend life (inferred from some feedback ...) 3. can fit wheels both narrower and wider than the CS in the same size ... 4. have a higher speed rating than the CS

The CS has the advantage of 1. higher load rating 2. can inflate tires all the way to 65lbs (vs the 51lbs of the WR)

In addition the WR carries the Severe Service Emblem meaning you are legal w/out snow chains (though the CS may also have this - their web site is silent on this aspect .. though that might be because the CS seems only to be offered for the North American market ... not sure ..)

One mistake I made was that .. (since initially I was leaning to the CS and hence debating between 205 65 15 vs 225 70 15) .. when I reverse flipped to the WR's .. I totally lost sight of the fact that I could have gone with 215 65 R15 XL which would have offered maybe some better curb-to-wheel scuff protection .. in fact the 215 65 R15 might be more precisely fitted for a 6.5 inch tire which the rhein is ... I dont think I would have lost any appreciable torque ... and I might have even saved a tiny bit of gasoline when driving freeway speeds ...

Personally I feel really good finally owning tires meant for my load .. if I were buying tires, such as the Michelin hydroedge .. then I wouldnt be supporting the manufacture of tires that are actuallly made for the load rating of a vanagon .. and if they were to stop making these tires that would be a real tragedy ... Therefore I request that everyone on the list do their best to refrain from buying tires like the hydroedge ... and only support the manufacture of tires made specifically for the load rating of a vanagon ... (hint hint: buy nokian!)

I don't think most people should consider purchase of the other tires by Nokian offered for the vanagon unless they are going to use them for specifically for winter use (ie, they have another set of tires for summer, or only use their vanagon in the winter ...) - - my concern is that the tires simply wouldnt last long enough otherwise ...