Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:03:00 -0700
From:         James V <tornadored@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Front Shock Installation - Upper Spacer Sleeve?

I'm in the process of replacing all four Bilstein Touring shocks installed by the PO, with new Bilstein HD shocks on my 88 Westy. I did the rears, no problem. But, I'm a bit uncertain about a particular spacer in the fronts.

The new Bilsteins include a short (~3/8") spacer bushing w/ a "stepped" inner surface that sits atop the "step" below the threading on the shock shaft:

http://three91.com/vanagon/bilsteinShocks/newBilstein.jpg

My old Bilsteins were installed as follows: dust shield, (upper control arm), 3/8" stepped bushing (same as the one included w/ the new Bilstein) inside of rubber donut bushing, large flat washer, then the retaining nut:

http://three91.com/vanagon/bilsteinShocks/oldBilstein.jpg

When installed, the 3/8" stepped bushing is "swallowed" by the rubber donut bushing, and the top of the dust shield is pressed directly against the control arm:

http://three91.com/vanagon/bilsteinShocks/oldBilsteinInstalled.jpg

Instead of the 3/8" spacer bushing, Bentley shows a longer (1.12") (non-stepped?) spacer sleeve that slides over the shock shaft on top of the dust shield and seems to extend through the control arm and donut bushing. The dust shield looks like it has its own stepped bushing inside, that allows it to sit atop the step on the shock shaft, as well as receive the factory spacer sleeve from above.

So, my guess is that the 3/8" bushing included w/ the Bilstein shock is used only if the factory dust shield is not...? And it looks like, then, that the PO mistakenly replaced the longer factory spacer sleeve with the shorter one included w/ the Bilsteins...?

It makes more sense to me to discard the 3/8" bushing included w/ the Bilsteins, and use the longer factory spacer sleeve. This way, the when the nut is tightened, it bottoms out on the spacer sleeve, providing a specific compression for the donut bushing... Is this correct?

If so, then I need to get new spacer sleeves and Bentley calls for part 251-413-439A (28.5mm). However, a quick search on Bus Depot only came up w/ 251-413-439C. Is this a suitable replacement?

Thanks for your help. (Sorry for the lengthy explanation - Let me know if clarification is needed anywhere.)

James V 88 Westy