Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:13:35 -0400
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: Making an alternator a smarter charger? [LVC]
Comments: To: Mike Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>

At 03:25 PM 6/25/2006 -0700, Mike Elliott wrote: >Dennis, I hadn't considered the effect of 14 - 14.8 absorption voltage >on the headlights and other driving devices in the Vanagon. That's a >darn good point. If a fellow had a second alternator for charging the >deep-cycle house battery, then a smart regulator like this might make >more sense. But with a single alternator and knowing that the lifetime >of an incandescent bulb is proportional to the 12th power of the voltage >overage or underage, I'll think I'll take a pass on this device.

That's why the device has an input to command it to limit the output voltage so as to protect lamps etc. You're supposed to use it when indicated...

>Your point about spending that money on a second battery is a good one, >but when I'm climbing a 7% grade for several hours in 90F weather in a >1.9L WBX, every pound I carry adds to the engine load. This may be my >years of lightweight backpacking talking, but Group 31 and T-105 >batteries weigh 65lbs . . .

Mike, starting batteries are simply not designed to supply deep discharges ever; they expect to run at some state of high charge for their entire life. They are designed for supplying huge current very briefly, and they're good at that. 300 amps for one or two seconds to crank an engine is a breeze, and a 650 CCA battery is rated to deliver 650 amps for 30 seconds at zero Fahrenheit without falling below ?8 volts?. In amp-hour terms that's a whopping 5.4 amp-hours for the tongue-hanging-out cold-start rating; 300A x 2 seconds is 83 milliamp-hours. You could start your car ten times with a set of alkaline AA batteries if they could only deliver the current! Ask starting batteries to function as deep-cycle charge reservoirs and they will rapidly fail.

You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want ultimate energy density, you will hunt far and wide to find denser storage than diesel oil, and gasoline is not far behind. Over ten kilowatt-hours per kilogram. If you want quiet, you're still ahead of the curve for fuel cells so you have to look at batteries which have truly lousy energy density compared to liquid fuels. The navy once went into the jewelry business (so to say) because batteries made of silver offered noticeably higher energy density than ones of lead. They found it too rich for their blood, I believe. Lithium-sulfur (?) at 400F (?) is supposed to be very promising, but probably the size you want is below the knee in the curve. The cellar in the phone company switching office is filled with ?Edison cells? ?Leclanche? Ai, they all run together...oh well...anyway, they work extremely well for the telco but you'd find them heavy and finicky I suspect. So for the common man we have crummy old lead-acid at 0.025 kwh/kg, and your Total Cost of Ownership will go way up if you use current-delivery devices (i.e. starting batteries) in an energy-delivery application. **TANSTAAFL**. If you've got the bucks, lithium batteries are an exciting possibility -- I see a number of 0.350 kwh/kg though I'm not sure if that's the room-temperature variety. But remember they explode if you charge them improperly so don't mess about. There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch -- you can't win, you can't break even, and you can't get out of the game. And there will Never Be a good five-cent cigar no matter how much this country needs one...

Rgds, d

-- David Beierl - Providence RI USA -- http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage," '85 GL "Poor Relation"