Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2006 15:45:17 +0900
From:         Joy Hecht <jhecht@ALUM.MIT.EDU>
Subject:      slow on the continental divide (was RE: I-90 Freeway help

I have a nice continental divide story, though not on I-90. I was in Colorado, heading east on US 160. Chugging along, not very fast, going up a hill. I saw a sign saying "uphill next 8 miles." I wasn't really thinking about it - was a bit surprised, but just kept trolling along. Me and the big trucks, in the right hand lane, all the SUVs passing us really fast. Going the other direction were dozens of bicyclists flying down the road like mad, having a grand time (if they weren't freezing!). At some point it dawned on me that I must be heading to the continental divide. So I kept crawling along, 20-30 mph.

Finally I got to the top, and pulled over so Matilda could have a rest after all that hard climbing (end of vaguely Vanagon content). There were a few trucks also pulled over doing the same thing, so we chatted, took pictures of each other, stuff like that.

Then coming up from the other way came three kids on bikes. They got to the top opposite us and began whooping and cheering like mad! Then they dashed to our side to read the plaque (yeah, there was a "continental divide" sign), so we all talked a bit.

It turned out they had started in Connecticut, and had been riding like mad for a month or two. So they were absolutely thrilled that they had finally made it to the continental divide! All the other bikers, it turned out, were just on a day ride, up the hill for ten miles and then down for ten miles - but these three had done the whole country! So it was pretty cool to be right there as they pulled up to the top of that hill.

Joy

**************************************************************** Joy Hecht and Matilda, 1989 Burgundy Vanagon

For musings about life and the vanadventures: http://www.joyhecht.net

:::-----Original Message----- :::From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM] On Behalf :::Of Jake de Villiers :::Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 2:01 AM :::To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM :::Subject: Re: I-90 Freeway help ::: :::And there's the small matter of the Continental Divide !! ::: :::But the long slow climbs give you lots of time to take in the details of :::the :::landscape. :-) ::: :::Its a great trip Z: have a good time. ::: :::Jake ::: :::On 6/26/06, Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@ipa.net> wrote: :::> :::> Cruise control My Foot(A$$?)!! The Eisenhower in Chicago will give :::your :::> cruise control a well deserved respite!!!! Not sure how many tolls :::you'll :::> have, but the traffic is bad pretty much the whole 24/7 and if there's :::> construction, well..... :::> :::> BTW, we're about 2 hours south of Austin MN in Cedar Falls IA We'll :::be :::> gone from the 14th through the 23rd though. July, that is. Good luck :::on :::> the trip. :::> :::> At 03:00 PM 6/25/2006, Zoltan wrote: :::> :::> >Hi guys, :::> >I will be driving along I-90 from one end to the other with a :::> >"Vanagon". And as you know, there can be an emergency anytime with :::these :::> >beasts. :::> >Anyone close to that road to visit or to help me if I really need? :::> >Phone number and town name is good enough. If I am really stuck, I :::would :::> >call the nearest help and see if we can bring the beast back to life :::with :::> >your help. :::> >Zoltan :::> > :::> > :::> > :::> >-- :::> >No virus found in this incoming message. :::> >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. :::> >Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.3/374 - Release Date: :::6/23/2006 :::> :::> :::> -- :::> No virus found in this outgoing message. :::> Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. :::> Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.4/375 - Release Date: :::6/25/2006 :::> ::: ::: ::: :::-- :::Jake :::1984 Vanagon GL :::1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" :::www.crescentbeachguitar.com