Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2006 12:42:50 -0400
From:         Jason Willenbrock <pooncerelli@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dometic question. (yes did search archives.... ;^)
Comments: To: goofymuso@YAHOO.CA

hi neil, i am sure that by now you have pulled your fridge and cleaned the flue, burner etc... thoroughly, so i'll skip that part. sounds like you have fan installed which is a great tool for moving air around but does not add any cooling to fridge. so my experience has shown that my fridge cools best when full of already prechilled items, and i mean full. one six pack only will allow too much dead air in fridge to heat up from opening and closing door as well as just air leaking because factory seals suck. which bring my next point. i also installed new seals all the way around fridge opening. that seems to make a tighter fit on door which will help with cold air loss. now for the most important. i have two mylar ice packs that i keep in my fridge when i go camping. one ice pack i sit ontop of the cooling fins and the other i keep with the food/beer ect... i then rotate the ice packs daily to allow the ice pack that is with the food get back to a semi "frozen" state, and move the still frozen ice pack down to the food. this helps TREMENDOUSLY! on the hottest days, assuming that i am parked in shade, with ice packs and a loaded cold fridge my temps always hang just below 40, always. now, i do keep the sky light open and windows slightly cracked as well. my fins do frost up and i can make ice. i even have to turn my tstat down at night to keep things from getting too cold. oh yeah, a frozen nalgene is a good idea as well, as it thaws you have ice water and it helps to keep things cool hope this helps jason 87 syncro westy so many roads to ease my soul...