Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Jun 2006 18:40:56 -0400
From:         steve vitale <steve@NEWSIE.NET>
Subject:      Re: air conditioning

Hi List, I read through this thread and decided I really didn't have much to loose in using a do-it-yourself conversion (except for $30 and my hearing). My AC had almost no freon, the low pressure switch had opened, but a friend of mine came around with a magical freon container and released the rest of it into a unit for proper government mandated disposal etc... and so i was lift with an empty AC. I hooked up a can of R132A, and blew it back out of the system to get the old oil out (again using my friends government mandated capture system if that's required.) I then added 3 more cans of R132A.. now the AC works, blowing nice and cold. I'm not sure how long this will work or if my lines will explode etc.. but it's working now. I'll let you know what happens from here. Steve

On 6/24/06, Kim Brennan <kimbrennan@mac.com> wrote: > > Depending on the type of AC you have, it should go out of the > vehicle. Stock Westy AC should drip through the D pillars at the rear > of the vehicle (on both sides). Stock Passenger (86 and later) AC > should do the same. > > 85 era (front overhead) AC systems should drip from the B pillars > (just behind the front tires.) > > In Dash Behr units should drip out the front. > > If you don't have drippings outside you could have water > inside....not good. If it is accumulating inside, you could have rust > down the road. > > Or, as happened to me traveling the Gulf coast, you could get a rude > cold shower if you stop suddenly. > > On Jun 24, 2006, at 5:57 PM, Warren Lail wrote: > > > My long range plans are to replace the condensor, all of the hoses, > > and install a new expansion valve, so I may wait and install the > > receiver/dryer at that time. > > > > One question: Where does water from the evaporator go? I don't > > seem to see any under the bus anywhere, but I'll keep looking. >