Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2006 12:36:20 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 88 Westy brake master cylinder question
Comments: To: John Graham <theklube@GMAIL.COM>

Yes. I've replaced Vanagon Master cylinders by removing the instrument cluster and unbolting them from the brake booster. Of course, you have the brake light wires and, if you have a clutch, the hose to its master cylinder.

Mike

John Graham wrote: > I recently had a local shop replace my front brake pads and am enjoying the > renewed braking performance. However I recently also noticed that when I > have come to a stop in traffic, sitting there with my foot on the brake > (auto transmission) that the car will begin to creep forward and I can then > press a little harder (the pedal goes down a slight bit) and of course the > van stops. > > There doesn't appear to be any brake fluid loss, so my diagnosis is that > the > seals in the master cylinder have aged to the point of leaking a little. > I've rebuilt master cylinders in my younger days, but given the criticality > of the master cylinder, I think spending ~$100 at the Bus Depot for a new > one would be the right call for me. > > Now for my question: The Bentley Manual shows the master cylinder and > booster unit configuration. But doesn't give any guide if you're just > going > to replace the master cylinder unit. I've taken the instrument cluster off > before, so doing that's not a big deal. Once that is off, is it > possible to > unbolt the master cylinder from the back of the booster without further > disassembly of the dashboard?? If so, I'll tackle this one, if not > then, we > go back to the shop. > > John Graham > 88 Westy in Charlotte - 147,000 miles on first set of heads (I think) - > I do > change that coolant periodically. >