Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:27:35 -0700
From:         Mike Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Which "surging syndrome" is this one?
Comments: To: Roger Sisler <rogersisler2000@YAHOO.COM>

Thanks, Roger.

I installed the tantalum capacitor last year as a precaution.

The resistive track on the AFM does seem to be deeply grooved at the two places where the wiper contacts ride. And you're right: them three bolts are darn hard to get out. Seem to be triangular in cross-section, possibly for thread-cutting. Nearly destroyed them in the process of removal. I'm hoping my local Tru-Value hardware store has something with a similar enough thread so I can use new, because these are trashed.

Fingers crossed.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR

On 6/22/2006 9:24 AM Roger Sisler wrote: > First look to see that the 3 wires that enter the distributor are properly > connected.You can remove the wire bail and pull the plug out. Peek inside > the socket and look for 3 contacts that are all evenly seated in the bottom. > > Go wiggle or remove/replace all the electrical connections .Like the hall > generator on the fire wall,the AFM connector,coil wires,ECU plug. > > If you do have VS, start with adding a ground wire to the AFM and frame. > Next, remove the AFM(EZ) and solder in a tanatlum capacitor as per Tom > Carrington's repair proceedure in the vanagon list archives. > > I understand that the little board inside the AFM,that the contact sweeps > over ,has a wear adjustment. The little screws can be loosened and the > board adjusted so that a new wear area is now in contact with the needle.In > practice, these little screws are far too tight to loosen up on(my > experience).I have heard of others being successful here. > > Roger > >