Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2006 17:49:55 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Norcold results (long)

The dometics on average are junk after 20 years of age. Just went through the same thing as mine was great on the bench under 110v or propane but just will not get cold installed and on the road. Most likly due to heat dissipation in the rear from the coils, even with a new fan inside and out.

Yes many of you have ones that work "ok" but most are a hassle in far to many ways. That Norcold should run fine for days on 12v. Use the same common sense everyone speak of when dealing with the temperamental Dometics. Prechill things, keep door closed. Keep your beers in a cooler and you meat in the fridge!

You may want to look up Karl Mullendore (karl@westyventures.com) as he raves about the success and staying power of his DC0040.

Shawn

On 6/22/06, Rich Bennington <rich.bennington@charter.net> wrote: > > Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:09:07 -0700 > From: Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM> > Subject: Norcold results (long) > <I installed a Norcold DC0040 into Mellow Yellow and during this week's > shakedown trip, I monitored its performance. > First, generalities: it kicks butt on the Dometic 182R. Despite all the > tweaks and modifications I made to the Dometic, it never held cold below > 50F > when the outside temperature climbed past 80F. This reefer, on the other > hand, is rock-steady at all times, even at 90F outside.> > > That's not the norm for a Dometic - at least not mine! > > <The one issue that concerned me is battery draw. Before putting Mellow > Yellow to bed at the end of camping season last year, I finished > installing > the solar setup. I now have two BP Solar 45W panels that I can haul > anywhere > within 40 feet of the van where there's sun, and a Blue Sky Company Solar > 2000E controller to stuff the electricity generated by the panels into the > Optima aux battery. Even so, if the the consumption of the reefer (along > with this little notebook that we use to watch movies on, and the stereo > system I installed . . . oh yeah, the fluorescent lamps I installed, too) > . > . . well, if running all these things depletes the battery quicker than I > can charge it back up, then I will need to re-configure my setup.> > > Having done quite a bit of larger RV and trailer camping, there is a > reason > nobody uses 12V for anything other than temporary use for their fridges. > Even with massive charger arrangements (three or more 150 watt panels!) > and > multiple full sized deep cycle batteries (in addition to the starting > batteries), people don't do it. In fact, most fridges on these RVs don't > even have a 12V option. While the Norcold may be a newer and more > efficient > fridge, the typical use of a fridge is not just keeping food cold. Every > time you open the fridge, and especially when you put something in that's > not already cold, the duty cycle will have to go up tremendously while it > tries to catch up and stabilize. Couple that with the fact that > batteries, > even deep cycle, don't like being fully discharged, and you will need to > either always camp where there is power or add more solar cells and > battery(s). > > Rich >

-- shawn feller, ohio 1986 vw vanagon gl westfalia 1993 vw eurovan gl plus a couple of saabs, boats, jet skis, dog and wife (all require to much maintenance, accept the dog)...

www.carboncow.com www.carboncow.net