Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:55:44 -0500
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: oil all over rear hatch?
Comments: To: Paul Guzyk <paullist@GUZYK.COM>

Paul and crew: FWIW, I had a 4 year minimal leak pretty much since the beginning RPM's from my Boston Bob rebuild that now has 50k+ on it. It got worse last winter to the point of not only leaving the rear of the van oily, but I was leaving stains most everywhere I parked. It seemed to originate from the rear crank pulley seal area and I assumed that was the problem. Then the list dished out one of those Positive Crankcase Ventilation threads and that got me wondering if mine was clogged or not. Around the end of April, I changed to the spring/summer oil and all of a sudden it stopped if by magic. The only other thing I did was to ream out that copperish-looking heater plate in the hose from the breather tower in the engine compartment and the big rubber air intake boot.

My symptoms over the years were pretty much an oily dipstick area and I'm now thinking that I had excessive crankcase pressure somehow and the dipstick was the "path of least resistance". By opening up that breather hole, I'm guessing that provided relief. Not sure what that says about the overall condition of the motor, but it still runs strong and the compression is good. At $5/qt. it's good to have backed into a solution of this nagging problem. My gas mileage took a noticeable turn for the better after this procedure as well.

I'd be all ears as to what I did to solve this and why what happened happened. Best news was that it didn't cost anything to "fix".

DM&FS

At 11:36 PM 6/22/2006, Paul Guzyk wrote:

>I recently purchased an 84 Vanagon with a 93 Subie 2.2 that a PO installed. > >The engine has good compression (180-185 all around) runs well, >sounds nice, lots of power etc. The top of the engine is clean and >dry, the bottom of the timing belt covers are a little oily. > >I just went on an 800 mile drive. At the end of the drive, the rear >hatch was covered in a thin film of what appears to be motor oil. >Even the license plate and rear window were covered in this oil. > >Has anyone seen this? > >Could the engine be leaking oil and by some sort of 'Venturi effect' >it is getting sucked onto the rear hatch of the van? Or is the oil >coming from somewhere else? > > > >-- >No virus found in this incoming message. >Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. >Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.2/370 - Release Date: 6/20/2006

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.9.2/370 - Release Date: 6/20/2006