Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Jun 2006 16:57:19 -0500
From:         Warren Lail <wlail@OU.EDU>
Subject:      Re: air conditioning

I have air condtioning! We vacuumed down the system for about an hour, gave it 30 minutes to see if we had a vacuum leak (didn't), added Ester oil and a small bottle of oil with dye, charged the system with 51oz of R134a and bingo!

When the compressor comes on even the idle jumps up (I was hoping it would do that). Temp at the vent never got below 60 while sitting in the shop, but when I took it out on the freeway it dropped almost to 50. According to my friend who did the work (for no labor charge), that ain't the best but considering the age of the system and the fact that we did not change the expansion valve that was pretty good. Believe me, it feels great and I am very happy!

It cost me $82 for the custom hoses, barbs, and clamps, and $37 for the R134a, the Ester oil, and the dye, and $18 for a case of Coors Light (that's all Spike would take for his time). I've ordered a new receiver/dryer (the one I bought wouldn't work) so when it gets here we will remove the refrigerant, install the new receiver/dryer and recharge it again. However if it keeps cooling as well as it is now, I doubt that I will impose upon my friend to do all of this again.

My long range plans are to replace the condensor, all of the hoses, and install a new expansion valve, so I may wait and install the receiver/dryer at that time.

One question: Where does water from the evaporator go? I don't seem to see any under the bus anywhere, but I'll keep looking.

Thanks to all of you who provided input and guidance.

Warren L. 88 Westy 2.2 "Billy Bones"

----- Original Message ----- From: roger sisler <rogersisler2000@yahoo.com> Date: Saturday, June 24, 2006 9:31 am Subject: Re: air conditioning