Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Jun 2006 08:15:17 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <j.michael.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      The rewards (long) [LVC]

I'm writing this on Tuesday, on the first cruise of the season, a shakedown cruise, before inviting Mrs Squirrel to join me camping. This year, I'm camping solo on Palomar Mountain, home of the world-famous Palomar Observatory.

It's a steady, tough climb to the top, which makes it a good shakedown for the engine. The weather is hot - mid 90's - so if anything is gonna blow early in the season, it's here. Built in ____ to haul the 200-inch mirror used in the big telescope at the top, this road was originally named "Highway To The Stars," a romantic name, one that pays homage to the endeavor, one that recognizes the scope of how darn big the 200-inch Hale telescope really is. Think about it: 200 inches is 16 feet across, about 5 meters. Imagine hauling a mirror 16 feet across, from its factory to the top of a mountain. Now imagine that this mirror, which weighs __ lbs ( kg), and has been ground to exacting standards, has to be taken to the top of a mountain without jarring or shaking so it does not lose its optical perfection. To bring this enormous piece of glass to its new home at the top of a mountain, they built this road, the "Highway To The Stars," which climbs, switchbacking, back and forth up the mountainside at a remarkably steady 7% grade. In seven miles it climbs nearly 3,000 feet.

Sometime later, the road's name got changed. Now it is called "South Grade Road," a tedious, merely descriptive name, without romance or soul.

Anyway, back to Vanagon content. A couple of bugs surfaced: the temp indicator lamp started blinking midway up. Knowing that this could be trouble, I pulled off the road and checked the coolant level in the tank behind the license plate: a smidge above "max," which the manual says is normal for hot driving. I thought about this a bit, then pulled all the camping gear out of the rear and opened the engine compartment and started the engine. The V-belt was running smoothly. Hmmmm. Considering that the temp gauge never went more than a needle's width to the right of the blinking lamp, I decided that I may be dealing with a faulty indicator or sensor. I loaded the gear back in and continued on my way, eyeballing the temp gauge, hoping I was not putting the engine at risk. How could I explain to Mrs Squirrel that I managed to overheat and blow up the engine?

The climb up (grudgingly) South Grade Road was nearly uneventful (what journey in a Vanagon is without event?). A climb of __%, requires compassion for the engine: the1.9 liter WBX engine labors mightily to lift a Westy with camping gear to the top of Palomar Mountain in hot weather. I pretty much stayed in second gear (auto transmission) and held a steady 2800rpm. The temp gauge stayed just to the right of the lamp. But once I climbed above the 5,000-ft elevation level, Mellow Yellow developed an exciting new behavior: it suddenly lost power for about three to five seconds, then picked right up again. 60 seconds later, it did it again. This may be the famous "surging," that the archives are full of, and I will read the printouts that I brought along to learn more about it. I seem to recall that this is caused by some failed sensor or something trivial, so I am not worried. In the meantime, I might also be able to solve the temp lamp issue with my scout's knife, some duct tape, and these wooden spoons. We'll see.

Anyways . . . now I'm here. Not at Palomar State Park -- California state likes to pack its campers cheek-by-jowl -- but rather at Observatory campground. Here, in the jurisdiction of the Cleveland National Forest, the sites are farther apart, the sense of quietude greater. There is only one other site occupied on this sunny Tuesday afternoon two days before the summer solstice, the longest day of the year. I walked around the campground and remembered. My mother and father are here: when my mother died, my father brought her ashes here and spread them under the incense cedars; when my father died, nine years ago, my brothers and I brought his ashes here to spread alongside hers. We stood under the same trees, we three brothers, with little to say. Never a close family, we drifted farther apart after my father's death.

. . .

The new Norcold reefer chugs away in Mellow Yellow, keeping my produce, cheese, and popsicles cold (it is hoped), despite the 90F temp outside. I am recording its on and off times for the archives, for those calculating their battery capacities down to the last ampere-hour, and will post the results in a separate message, for the archives.

I think I mis-wired something when I installed the new refrigerator, because the faucet isn't working. I can work around that: I've been car camping since I was a kid, took up backpacking as a teenager, have horse-camped in the Grand Tetons, done ski-camped in the snow, been caught in blizzards atop mountains, trailer camped with a Coleman tent camper and a vintage Airstream. . . . It's like this: I can deal with a failed faucet. But it's important to me to get it working before I bring Mrs Squirrel camping this season. For some reason, camping with Mrs Squirrel is nicer than all the other camping I've done, and I like to make things comfortable for her.

The point is this: now I'm here, sitting in the shade, eating a bowl of fresh, cold gazpacho I made from tomatoes, cucumbers, garlic, olive oil, peppers, salt, pepper, and some onion, all blended in a mini food processor I picked up this morning from my local Tru-Value hardware store. Dipping a fresh ciabatta with Kalamata olives chunks in it, sipping a glass of California syrah wine, I know that life is, as they say, good. These are the rewards.

-- Mike Elliott