Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Jun 2006 07:48:31 -0400
From:         Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Pop-top canvas replacement.
Comments: To: "RAlanen@aol.com" <RAlanen@aol.com>

I certainly agree that three window is the way to go. but instalation aside, I would go with a synthetic.

I had a small crack in my top that let water in and I ended up with mould on the old cotton top. Synthetics woudl be much more resistant.

I believe the model from Bus depot even has removable screens so that if you rip one you can just zip in a replacement.

Chris

On 6/29/06, Kenneth Wilford <kenwilfy@comcast.net> wrote: > I would go with the three window cotton canvas. They should last forever if > you keep your seals in good order and avoid cutting the thing in the hinges, > etc. I have installed the cotton, and the acrylic. I don't care for the > acrylic canvas as it is super stiff. When you go to pop the top, you will > need to open a window or the sliding door or you will find yourself inside > of a suction machine. When you go to install it, you will curse how still > it is. Installing a canvas is like nailing yourself inside your own coffin > without having to wrestle with super thick material. Just my advice. Have > fun and get a fan to blow on you while you are in there. It helps stave off > the claustrophobia that would grip a mole under the same circumstances. > > Thanks, > Ken Wilford > John 3:16 > http://www.vanagain.com > http://www.strictlyvwauctions.com > http://www.eurovan.org > http://www.vwcabrio.org > Phone: (856)-327-4936 > Fax: (856)-327-2242 > > -----Original Message----- > From: Vanagon Mailing List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com] On Behalf Of > Frank Condelli > Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 5:51 AM > To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM > Subject: Pop-top canvas replacement. > > > OK, folks here is a can of worms to be opened. I need to change the > canvass on my '87 Westy. I want the very best. What opinions are there ? > > Cheers, > > Frank Condelli > Almonte, Ontario, Canada > '87 Westy, '90 Carat, '87 Wolfsburg (Forsale) & Lionel Trains > Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley _Frank Condelli & > Associates_ (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/busindex.html) > _Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems_ > (http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/stebro.htm) > _BusFusion_ (http://members.aol.com/BusFusion/bfhome.htm) a VW Camper > camping event, Almonte, ON, June 08 ~ 11, 2006 >