Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2006 13:03:39 -0400
From:         robert shawn feller <carboncow@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: An idea deserving a Friday post -- waterboxing the Dometic
Comments: To: Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com>

It's just as absurd as the guy who proposed water cooling this engine to the air heads in Vw engineering back in the late 70s!

On 6/30/06, Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@gmail.com> wrote: > Riding my bicycle up a grade this morning, per my doctor's orders, I > found my rodent-sized brain turning over the idea of boxing in the > radiator fins on the back of the Dometic, then pumping cool water over > them. Move the water through an oil cooler or something similar. > Dropping the temp of the fins to ambient should make the refrigerator a > lot more efficient. The actual mechanical details would probably be a > nightmare, I know absolutely nothing about water cooling, and I haven't > a clue about how much electricity it would take the circulate the water > and blow air through the little radiator, but if it is on par with the > 2.5 amps it takes to run a Norcold, and lets the Dometic pull a delta-T > greater than 40F, it could be useful. > > I toss this idea out with a $5 reward to the first guy that can show me > where waterboxing the Dometic in a Vanagon application has been > suggested before. > > No rewards for those that tell me what a weak idea this is. Just hearing > about it is reward enough. > > -- > Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott > 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus > 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") > 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano > KG6RCR >

-- shawn feller, ohio 1986 vw vanagon gl westfalia 1993 vw eurovan gl plus a couple of saabs, boats, jet skis, dog and wife (all require to much maintenance, accept the dog)...

www.carboncow.com www.carboncow.net