Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:31:54 -0500
From:         John Rodgers <inua@CHARTER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Idle Stabilizer Control Box
Comments: To: John Bange <jbange@GMAIL.COM>

John,

I had forgotten about your project. Is there any way I can help from a long distance??

I have some cobbled together info on another project - unrelated to our vans. It's a black box setup using a microprocessor to read a voltage signal from a thermocouple in an electric kiln, feed it through the box through the parallel interface into a desktop computer, where a simple "basic" program will interpret the signal and then respond with a positive or negative signal for a specified time to a contactor in a 240 volt circuit, either turning the power on, or off, depending, and holding it there. This allows the ramping of temperature, a hold on temperature, or a cooling period on temperature.- All from a PC. Capable of running several kilns at once.

Might have some relavence to the van, I just don't know.

Regards,

John Rodgers

John Bange wrote: >> Has - or is - anyone working on reverse engineering the idle stabilizer >> control using modern digital processor technology? >> >> Seems to me that for someone knowlegable with electronics, it could be >> done with over-the-counter components. and would take up far less space. >> The boards and electronics of the current ISC for the 2.1 L WBX is a >> nightmare. I need to replace mine and I was just wondering if anyone was >> working on it. > > > I have a "back burner" project for that I've been working on off and on, > here and there, more or less. The original VDO-built monster is a > bizarre, > hand tuned analog computer that manages to keep RPM at a certain spot > without being able to actually count revolutions OR minutes. I figure a > fifty cent digital microcontroller could probably do the same thing > better > and more reliably with dozen lines of assembly language. I've worked > out the > basic code for the controller, but that's the easy part. Lately I've been > repeatedly sidetracked on one or another more critical projects (brake > fluid > leaking from rear wheel cylinder is the current one) and haven't had > time to > wire up my telemetry system to record how the current system works. If I > ever get the measurements I can start fumbling with the electronics. > > -- > John Bange > '90 Vanagon - "Geldsauger" > >