Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2006 23:59:14 +0100
From:         Florian Speier <groups.florian@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Idle Vanagon Question - upgrading engine
Comments: To: Sam Walters <sam.cooks@verizon.net>, camping.elliott@gmail.com

ok ok ok ok ,

sorry for my rough estimate of 1-2 weeks without giving further details. Let me correct myself. I do not count wait times for parts as conversion time. It might be an issue if your waterboxer is dead and you need to get the car running again as quick as possible, but Mike's waterboxer is still running fine, hence he can just order parts and its not an issue if it takes a few weeks for them to arrive. In respect to getting an engine, there is enough people on the subaruvanagon list that will sell you an engine readily prepped with all you need tomorrow - sure its cheaper to part out a legacy yourself, but then you may also spend less than $3000. Next Mike's email states that he has changed out engines on a bus before, so I guess he has at least a rough idea of what it means to do this kind of job. But you are still correct in that my time estimate is slightly off, at least the one week end. I based it on Brent Weide's timesheet who came up with detailed estimates for the job after his first conversion. check out http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/ click on engine-I and then conversion timeline. He estimates 12.5 days for the coffedrinker type and 19.5 days for the beerdrinker type, including 1 respectively 2 days for ac hookup. (no doubt ac will take longer on mike's van as it is a fresh ac install), and including 2 resp. 5 days for taking the donor out and prepping it. that leaves 9.5 days for the coofeedrinker and 12,5 for the beerdrinker if you dont count ac and get a preprepped engine. half of the remaining time can be saved by getting someone else to do the harness according to his calculation. I totally agree that most conversions take forever as a result of waiting for parts, then not having time off for a while and so on and so forth. I also agree that everyone works at a different speed and might easily need 50-100% more time (that sounds like me). I would not recommend anyone to do it without in detail looking at the subaruvanagon list and its files, its an amazingly active community. I hope I was clearer now. I was just trying to give a quick overview of my take on conversions. As I said before, I have not done it yet but made up my mind after a lot of listening to conversion groups and web research. I guess I should have said 2-3 weeks to be rather conservative and on the safe side. Sorry about that.

florian