Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (June 2006, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:00:00 -0700
From:         Alistair Bell <albell@UVIC.CA>
Subject:      another discussion point on coolant system corrosion

Hi,

the recent discussion about using other metals in the cooling system, ie stainless, copper, had me thinking about stainless in the vanagon cooling system.

Now, I am just throwing this out for discussion:

In the scale of "activity" for metals, aluminium is more reactive than stainless, that is stainless (various grades differ) can be called more "noble" than Aluminium (imagine gold being most noble and magnesium the least).

Both Al and SS rely on a quickly formed oxide layer that resists further oxidation. So both are great for use in many environments.

But, and I have seen this happen more than once, If Aluminium and stainless are joined together, example being stainless bolts in an aluminium structure, and if there is an electrolyte (salt air, coolant etc), then the more noble stainless will gain electrons and the aluminium will lose them (oxidation).

I saw this first hand last fall in a large bike rack I made for a local company. They needed something to get the bikes out of the way in a covered passageway at a marina (where their offices were). My friend and I made a hanging rack from stainless track, aluminium box section, all welded and or bolted (ss) together.

The rack was only exposed to salt air, no spray or rain. But a few weeks later when we did some adjustments, there was powdery corrosion on the aluminium under the stainless bolts (washers). We needed to add some nylon washers to try break the electrical path.

The surface area of the sacrificial metal, Al, was much, much greater than the "gaining " metal stainless. Imagine the corrosion if it were the other way around, or imagine someone using aluminium pop rivets in a stainless structure exposed to salt air or spray, the rivets would be corroded away in no time.

Now god only knows what goes on in the vanagon cooling system, which metals in that environment become more noble. Sticking a few square feet of stainless into the mix MAY not be as benign as one would imagine.

Anyhoo, its a good topic for a chat over a few beers.

Alistair

'82 westy, diesel converted to gas in '94 http://www.members.shaw.ca/albell/