Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jul 2006 18:44:16 -0400
From:         Greg Potts <Greg@POTTSFAMILY.CA>
Subject:      Re: Mechanic had to pull transmission again, what would you do?
Comments: To: Christopher Gronski <gronski@GMAIL.COM>

Hi Chris,

If you've found a mechanic who will forgo his own revenue from parts markup; who will work for $55/hr AND is competent with vanagons you should count yourself very lucky. Larry & Avery Johnson told me at BusFusion that it takes them about 20 hours of labour to "re-and-re" a vanagon engine in their synchro, so I don't think your mechanic is hosing you in the least.

I think that scoring on the bearing could have been caused by the slave failure. I toasted a release bearing on the return trip from BusFusion this year... the smoked clutch disk expanded to the point where it was engaging the pressure plate and flywheel even with the clutch fully depressed. After about 200 miles of this abuse the springs let go and I completed the last 1.5 miles of my journey without a clutch. So it ould very well be your fault since you are the one who supplied the slave cylinder.

I have first-hand experience of the PITA that a wasserboxer engine pull from a parts van represents. If you can get a competent shop to do that for $55/hr you're very much ahead of the game. Annoy this guy too much and it'll simply encourage him to retire early and then you're going to have to schedule maintenance around YOUR own free time. Pay him a fair rate for his effort and he'll remember it next time you show up, and he'll be that much more attentive to your needs.

BTW, would you mind letting me know who you're dealing with? Sounds like a good shop to work on my Dad's fleet of 1985 vanagons.

Happy trails,

Greg Potts Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1973/74/79 Westfakia Conversion **Bob the Tomato** LY3H http://www.pottsfamily.ca/westfakia http://www.busesofthecorn.com