Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jul 2006 15:38:19 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mechanic had to pull transmission again, what would you do?

If it helps any, you would have paid another $660 for those labor hours here. I don't know that the full charge 'seems high' to me at all. I have no idea if it's common practice with that kind of tranny work, but you endorsed his reusing old parts. Seems to me you assume the risk for that- if I were him I would've flat told you that up front anyway. You don't say what you knew about the history of the parts van, but any given thing could 'look' fine, even to an experienced eye and still be moments away from failure. I really don't see how that's his problem. I think if it were me, based on what you've written here, unless I was reasonably certain that he was primarily responsible for the failure I'd meet him partway, and it sounds like $200 is barely partway. If you feel that he was primarily responsible for the failure I suppose I'd tell him that and give him the opportunity to present his side of it- a good relationship with a good mechanic is worth something all in itself and you're right about not wanting this thing between you in the future. BTW, if you decide to pay him, you should maybe do it before he goes on vacation, and let him know you were making a point of it. He'd probably appreciate the thought.

Cya, Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Gronski" <gronski@GMAIL.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 2:46 PM Subject: Mechanic had to pull transmission again, what would you do?