Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 15:34:19 -0700
From:         Michael Elliott <camping.elliott@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Temps under van vs inside  [LVC]

Following up on the research Neil is doing to see if there is cooler air under the van available to be ducted up to cool the radiator fins on the back of the Dometic refrigerator, I did some measurements which model the way I use Mellow Yellow when we go camping during warm weather

Test Conditions. The van was not moved for several days, so that the ground was not retaining warmth from solar heating. Poptop up, doors and windows open, zips all unzipped. This is pretty much how we camp.

Instrumentation. My handy Oregon Scientific 433MHz wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer with the plastic picture frame which still has the picture of the unknown couple that it had when I bought it.

Procedure. Thermometer sender leaned against cabinet below refrigerator, and allowed 15 minutes to stabilize before reading, then moved under center of van and placed atop a block of wood to elevate it a few inches above the pavement, stabilized for 15 minutes, and reading taken.

Results. Reading one, midmorning, 11am, van in full shade. Inside at floor level: 76F; underneath van at ground level: 76F Reading two: mid afternoon, 3pm, van in full sun. Inside at floor level: 82F; underneath van at ground level: 81F

Conclusion. Under these conditions, there is not a significant difference in temperature. Anyone who camps like we do, with their windows and zips all open during the day, should not count on finding cooler air under the van.

-- Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott 71 Type 2: the Wonderbus 84 Westfalia: Mellow Yellow ("The Electrical Banana") 74 Utility Trailer. Ladybug Trailer, Inc., San Juan Capistrano KG6RCR