Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Jul 2006 17:18:41 -0700
From:         Jake de Villiers <crescentbeachguitar@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Mechanic had to pull transmission again, what would you do?
Comments: To: mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net>

Chris, you kinda muddied the waters by supplying your own new and used parts, making it very difficult to assess who is responsible in this case.

I have turned down work where the customer wants to supply materials for that very reason; if the materials ( say, maple flooring) are not really up to par ( say, too much moisture) and six months later there are giant gaps in the flooring (heating season) that are in no way my fault, it is usually impossible to explain to the customer WHY their floor looks crappy, and I look bad regardless.

Be glad your guy will use your parts, and do what you need to do to make him happy. Two hundred bucks to replace the throwout bearing can't be bad; call Owasco and ask them how much!

Jake

On 7/5/06, mark drillock <drillock@earthlink.net> wrote: > > Sure, but does the reason it now doesn't spin have to do with the wear > spot? Do you have a photo of the clutch side of the bearing? > > In any case, "let go" is not a term that conveys any technical data. If > the bearing in fact stopped spinning, that is not "let go" but rather > "seized" or "grabbed", quite opposite from "letting go". > > Mark > > Christopher Gronski wrote: > > > Mark D - I have the bearing, the clips are fine but it does not spin > > and has a very clear worn spot in a half moon shape on one side. My > > theory is it let go, and the wear was caused on the way back when I > > was driving without a clutch. > > > ................................. >

-- Jake 1984 Vanagon GL 1986 Westy Weekender "Dixie" www.crescentbeachguitar.com