Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 1 Jul 2006 18:35:51 EDT
From:         Jeff Oxroad <Oxroad@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C shop in CA?
Comments: To: tornadored@GMAIL.COM

In a message dated 6/30/2006 11:36:36 PM Pacific Standard Time, tornadored@GMAIL.COM writes: >No, he will convince you NOT to convert to R134a!

Is the deal that one HAS TO convert to R134a to get the system charged? Shops won't charge a system with Freon anymore? Is R134a better, faster, stronger. Or is it an ozone issue? Because I just heard Bush say the ozone is fine, so why can't I have my Freon? ;)

I wouldn't mind a good shop in LA for A/C. I had Salerno on Magnolia Blvd. in Burbank, CA fix the A/c on my VW Fox. The clutch on the compressor was making noise like a bad bearing whether the a/c was on or off. They replaced the entire compressor for about $650 if I recall. And that son of a gun blew COLD as ice for about three years. It was still blowing cold when the A/C clutch started amking the same noise. It was "winter" so I just disconected the A/C belt and haven't had a chance to have anyone look at it.

Nice enough guys. I mean I wish the clutch on the new compressor lasted more than 3 years, but maybe that's par for the course with an aftermarket unit? And like I said the A/c was still cold as all get out, but with the clutch making all that noise I was afraid it would sieze so I disconnected the belt.

So my review of the shop is everything went fine. But I have to admit I'm a lot less picky about who works on my Fox when compaired to my Vanagon. The A/C on my bus hasn't worked in about 6 years.

Best, Jeff 83.5 Westy LA,CA