Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:09:51 -0700
From:         Jon Brown <jbrown510@GMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: A/C shop in CA?
Comments: To: Sharon Mendonca <bobonsharo@SBCGLOBAL.NET>

The absolute best A/C shop in California, IMHO, is in D&S Auto Air in Costa Mesa California, probably I bit far from the central coast. I'd give GoWesty a call and ask them for a recommendation closer to home. However just in case you really do want the best:

D & S Auto Air 1661 Superior Ave Costa Mesa, CA 92627 (949) 645-7802

Interestingly I found a link with their address and a map: http://www.imcool.com/shops/dsautoair.htm

They've done work on lots a Vanagons, including Subaru conversions, and my TiiCo conversion. Steve is an amazingly honest an upfront guy with uncommon integrity for a "mechanic". I'm sure he'd gladly give you an idea over the phone of what was involved in a R-134a conversion. I know it is a lot of work to do properly, personally I would and personally am staying R-12.

-Jon

Sharon Mendonca wrote: > Can anybody suggest a reliable A/C shop for conversion to R134a in California? We got a quote from a local a/c shop for $900, who probably has never worked on a van (whom we didn't trust) and then we went to another local VW shop. Quote was $420 to begin with and ended up at $1,600 - we decided we didn't want A/C THAT bad. We would still like to convert sometime, but not for that price. We're located on the central CA coast, but can travel wherever. Any good suggestions? > > Bob & Sharon Mendonca > 88 Westy > 88 Vanagon GL > >