Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 2006 08:43:19 -0400
From:         Mike Collum <collum@VERIZON.NET>
Subject:      Re: 19mm oil drain plug?
Comments: To: "Cronin, Paul" <PCronin@ANTIGENICS.COM>

In my opinion, it isn't the right plug ... but ...

If you have an old "so what" socket and access to a grinding wheel, you might try making your own thin walled socket and see if that works.

Some, in your situation, (after removing the plug) have used a dremel with a grinding stone to remove metal from the engine case so that a socket can be fitted. I wouldn't go that route.

Another choice is to get the plug out (even if you have to slot the plug with a dremel and a cutting wheel so that a screwdriver could turn it) then use a thread repair kit (helicoil is one type) which would allow you to return to a stock drain plug.

Mike

Cronin, Paul wrote: > Hi! > > This might be a dumb question - I went out to do the first oil change on my 88 Wolfsburg this past weekend and was met with a small obstacle. The oil drain plug had been switched out to a 19mm, and with the recessed location I was unable to get a socket to actually grip the bolt to remove it. I spoke to the PO and he told me that he had went to the dealership for a replacement and that this was given to him. He thought it was brilliant German engineering to prevent over-tightening. This may be the case, but I can't get it off. The recessed location prevents a wrench from getting a hold of it, and a socket simply won't grab it since only a small fraction of the bolt is accessible. The bolt itself has been beat up pretty bad from the PO's struggles to remove it, but it's still got the edges. I have been to Home Depot and True Value and can't find a socket that looks any better or different than the craftsman I own. > > Any ideas? Is this really a dealership decision, or is the wrong plug? > > Thanks! > Paul >