Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (July 2006, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Jul 2006 14:04:25 -0700
From:         Robert Fisher <refisher@MCHSI.COM>
Subject:      Re: euro licence plates aka . . . .

Interesting question... as far as I know it only has to be visible from the front (take that for what it's worth); I've seen a lot of people do the windshield thing and I've also seen a bunch that don't have a tag at all. In however many times I've been pulled over in the years I've lived in Cali I've not once had the cop mention the front plate, look for it or anything. They don't even require that you light it, so how important could it really be? I realize that has nothing to do with the law or its enforcement, but like I said- when's the last time anybody saw a cop walk around to look for the thing? I've also seen folks that have that Euro style plate and the have the state plate under it or on the end of the bumper. I dunno about the wisdom of leaving a substantial piece of sheet metal laying loose on the dash but if I wanted to do what you want to do I suppose I'd just do it and see how it fell out. I'd think if you got anything more than a warning or a fix-it ticket for it your cop was a real ahole or seriously pissed at you for some reason.

....so after writing all that I decided to go to the CA DMV page and look it up:

Vehicle Code

Display of License Plates

5200. (a) When two license plates are issued by the department for use upon a vehicle, they shall be attached to the vehicle for which they were issued, one in the front and the other in the rear.

(b) When only one license plate is issued for use upon a vehicle, it shall be attached to the rear thereof , unless the license plate is issued for use upon a truck tractor, in which case the license plate shall be displayed in accordance with Section 4850.5. Amended Sec. 27, Ch. 594, Stats. 2003. Effective January 1, 2004.

There was another one that said:

(B) The person understands that California law requires a license plate to be displayed from and securely fastened to the front of the motor vehicle and that the hardware necessary to securely fasten the front plate is available from the dealer.

So there's yer answer. I'm still inclined to think it's one of those things you could get away with until somebody told you differently, but that one's on you.

Cya,

Robert

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark C" <obeechi@RUNBOX.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, July 06, 2006 1:22 PM Subject: euro licence plates aka . . . .

What if you got euro licence plates for the front . . . and had them custom made to have the same number as you California Licence . .. and then put your california licence on the passsenger dash of the front window . . .

Think you could argue your way in court on that one? And what would the penalty be?